Why Run?

/ Why Run? #61  
Robert_in_NY said:
I think he meant to say Sir to show respect to the officer.
That is exactly what I was trying to say.
I say yes sir, yes maam, no sir, Thank You, You're Welcome, Please...
I think these are all signs of respect, respect to the person you are speaking with. In a situation with a Police Officer, it is respect for the position as well as the Human Being wearing the badge. I expect them to respect me until I do something to lose that respect, I respect them until they do something to lose that respect.
and
to whoever replied that hey had outrun the radio a few years back... I tried that once also. It was a mistake, on my part. Kawasaki (KZ1100) 17 years old, thought I was invincible, I was a very experienced rider, I lasted about 22 miles mostly around in and out of neighborhoods, until the State Troopers got there and blocked the last way out. I layed it down in the ditch, and took a ride in a Troopers car. I still have the scar where the brake handle caught my belt and tore my side open. I finally am not paying the inflated insurance premiums caused by that one moments bad decision.
But I am still alive to remember it.

/ Why Run? #62  
Piedmont3 said:
That is exactly what I was trying to say.
I say yes sir, yes maam, no sir, Thank You, You're Welcome, Please...
I think these are all signs of respect, respect to the person you are speaking with. In a situation with a Police Officer, it is respect for the position as well as the Human Being wearing the badge. I expect them to respect me until I do something to lose that respect, I respect them until they do something to lose that respect.
and
to whoever replied that hey had outrun the radio a few years back... I tried that once also. It was a mistake, on my part. Kawasaki (KZ1100) 17 years old, thought I was invincible, I was a very experienced rider, I lasted about 22 miles mostly around in and out of neighborhoods, until the State Troopers got there and blocked the last way out. I layed it down in the ditch, and took a ride in a Troopers car. I still have the scar where the brake handle caught my belt and tore my side open. I finally am not paying the inflated insurance premiums caused by that one moments bad decision.
But I am still alive to remember it.
to whoever replied that hey had outrun the radio a few years back... I tried that once also.
=================
That was me and I got by with it but I was just lucky !

/ Why Run? #63  
Robert & all,

What to you make of this incident and please do watchthe video.
http://www.courttv.com/news/2006/0705/flagler_ctv.html

It is very similar to what is under discussion, about Police Officers giving instructions and also how the public is treated by police officers. Let me clarify that, this only shows officers in one city and we really shoulnd't generalize.

/ Why Run?
I don't know what to really say about that. I do not know what procedures the officers have to follow but from what I saw in the video they only look like they were restraining her. I did not see any punches or any type of abuse. I really didn't see how she passed out as it seemed almost as soon as the officer lowered her arm she went out.

I am sure if it was my daughter in the video I would be upset but I would also be upset if she was drunk and put herself into this situation. But as I said, I do not know what rules the officers have or what type of people they are use to dealing with. But I do not think they were out of line to the point they are being indicted by a Grand Jury. I think the only reason this story is making news is because of the D.A. being her father. If you have never been on a Grand Jury the D.A. does a great job of telling the jurors what to do (at least around here they do). I remember when I was on it the Jury wanted to hear from a witness to the defendant and the D.A. got visibly upset at us because of it. All he wanted was for us to push it thru to trial.

Personally, I do not trust lawyers as it is their job to convince people that they are right and their client is right. The D.A. is just another lawyer who is upset because it was his daughter in the video. If it was my daughter in that video I doubt he would care and he would be defending the police officers actions.

The officers were smart to film it though as it shows what happened and gives them a way to defend themselves.

/ Why Run? #65  
Soundguy said:
My point exactly. There should be no 'minimum' duration for timing self defense based on another person causing harm to you. If the threat is real and immenent.. ya gotta protect yourself..

Soundguy

I agree with you completely. I've tried to read this entire thread but, I have to admit, Lbrown59 has confused the crap out of me. What's with the odd quoting and all they confusing colors, letter sizes and types??

/ Why Run? #66  
The shooting was fully justified, just wasn't done soon enough.

It doesn't matter at all what the provocation is, the cop haters will always bash him for it.

Then there are the mentally handicapped ones 'why didn't he shoot the gun out of his hand', or 'why didn't he just wound him'.

I haven't seen one example of a LE shooting reported in the local press where those types didn't crawl out of the woodwork.

Harry K

/ Why Run? #67  
I have to get my two cents in here. I did a 27 year hitch in the Local P.D. and I know our training is excellant, but the New York State Police are trained a cut above all the rest. I've had to use my weapon on several occasions and it did take a while to convince myself that there was no other way. Yes I sleep good at night, it was me or and innocent civilian or them. My job was to serve and protect first and go home at the end of the shift second. I didn't take the job to get hurt, and although I've taken some pretty good lumps (even died on the table once) I always went home. If the bad guy didn't make it, too bad, it was their choice. I know the Trooper that was involved in the shooting and he's a good, level headed cop. It took almost a mile of being dragged to make the decision to shoot, I'm sure he's was seeing his life flash before him and had know other recourse. It's not like the knuckle head driving the ATV didn't know he was dragging a Police Officer and I'm sure the idiot heard the Cop telling him to stop. He made his choice, he knows Cops carry guns, and guns kill. He left the Officer no other choice. The Trooper did the right thing and the dead guy didn't. I know what the Trooper is going through right now and I hope he can deal with it. I pray for the family of the dead guy, but I pray harder for the Trooper. We put our lives on the line everytime we put that uniform on, but that doesn't mean that our lives are theirs for the taking.

/ Why Run? #68  
jjcc246,

Very well said!!! Thank you.

Eddie

/ Why Run? #69  
jjcc246 said:
I have to get my two cents in here. I did a 27 year hitch in the Local P.D. and I know our training is excellant, but the New York State Police are trained a cut above all the rest. I've had to use my weapon on several occasions and it did take a while to convince myself that there was no other way. Yes I sleep good at night, it was me or and innocent civilian or them. My job was to serve and protect first and go home at the end of the shift second. I didn't take the job to get hurt, and although I've taken some pretty good lumps (even died on the table once) I always went home. If the bad guy didn't make it, too bad, it was their choice. I know the Trooper that was involved in the shooting and he's a good, level headed cop. It took almost a mile of being dragged to make the decision to shoot, I'm sure he's was seeing his life flash before him and had know other recourse. It's not like the knuckle head driving the ATV didn't know he was dragging a Police Officer and I'm sure the idiot heard the Cop telling him to stop. He made his choice, he knows Cops carry guns, and guns kill. He left the Officer no other choice. The Trooper did the right thing and the dead guy didn't. I know what the Trooper is going through right now and I hope he can deal with it. I pray for the family of the dead guy, but I pray harder for the Trooper. We put our lives on the line everytime we put that uniform on, but that doesn't mean that our lives are theirs for the taking.
Amen!

and Thank you for your service jjcc246!

/ Why Run? #70  
My hats off to those of you that serve and protect and put on the uniform! I sleep better at night knowing you're there. You've got more internal fortitude than I do. I could never be an officer, I think in this scenario I would have shot at him after 50 feet. I couldn't have held out for a mile.