Why should I NOT buy a new LX 4500 or LX 4900?

/ Why should I NOT buy a new LX 4500 or LX 4900? #1  

gjsnow

Bronze Member
Sorry if I'm rambling....
Im looking at some land, about 10 acres and will need a machine to run a 6 foot brush-hog, grooming mower or belly mower, grapple etc. I like the Deere 3046R, NH non-CVT Boomers about 45 hp, and Massey 1742, all tier 4. No Tier 3's left.
I think about 32-35 PTO hp will be adequate. I hate cutting it too close and not having enough HP.
There is still a bunch of some Yanmars out there that are Tier 3 and well priced.
Why?
I love the Yanmar engine and have had plenty of deere equipment with those engines. Are the tractors themselves not as good as the other manufacturers? Is it parts? Dealer support? Am I missing something?
Why should I not buy a new LX? I'd be 80 miles from a Yanmar dealer and 10 miles from two Deere dealers and one NH dealer..... (hate the Kubota rocker pedal on the hydro). I'd prefer Tier 3 until all the bugs are out of the Tier 4's.
I've read the recent post about the spotty welding and links in the Yanmar etc.
Thanks in advance for the input.
gjsnow

/ Why should I NOT buy a new LX 4500 or LX 4900?
Don't hesitate to chime in...
gjsnow

/ Why should I NOT buy a new LX 4500 or LX 4900? #3  
I have been using my Lx490 for two years, about 355 hard working hours. Haven't needed any parts except the stabilizer links, which were cheap to replace but really just need a stronger substitute. Ordered the replacement for the broken link and had it in 5 days. The turbo engine is a sweetie, smaller displacement, but higher torque pretty much through the rpm range than the LX 4500. It is a great bush hogger and loves the 7 foot roto tiller.

The spotty welding on that part, could be just for that part or just a fluke. If it is just that part, no big deal, fix it and go on. The loader welds have been strong. I dig harder than the loader was intended to I am sure but it has held up extremely well. Still no twist or broken or loose fittings and it works well with the grapple.

I am one of those who only needs parts, I don't want a dealer working on anything of mine. If you need a dealer for most stuff that breaks better make sure you have Yanmar service I guess although for my initial two years it would not have mattered anyway. When I left the dealer with mine I considered it my tractor and my responsibility. Only cared for the warranty incase the thing blew up which has happened to some neighboring Kubotas. I was shopping Kubota when I ran across the Yanmar. The Yanmar seemed more refined, and the money I saved bought most of my implements. Just my two cents. It is a roll of the dice.

/ Why should I NOT buy a new LX 4500 or LX 4900?
Thank you!!
gjsnow

/ Why should I NOT buy a new LX 4500 or LX 4900? #5  
Just make sure you look and see what your PTO HP is if you have a HST transmission. You lose pto hp if it is a HST. I have a 28 hp tractor but only 22 hp at the pto. If you do loader work the pedal is great. My Kioti has the rocker pedal...great for doing back and forth work !

/ Why should I NOT buy a new LX 4500 or LX 4900? #6  
Sorry if I'm rambling.... Im looking at some land, about 10 acres and will need a machine to run a 6 foot brush-hog, grooming mower or belly mower, grapple etc. I like the Deere 3046R, NH non-CVT Boomers about 45 hp, and Massey 1742, all tier 4. No Tier 3's left. I think about 32-35 PTO hp will be adequate. I hate cutting it too close and not having enough HP. There is still a bunch of some Yanmars out there that are Tier 3 and well priced. Why? I love the Yanmar engine and have had plenty of deere equipment with those engines. Are the tractors themselves not as good as the other manufacturers? Is it parts? Dealer support? Am I missing something? Why should I not buy a new LX? I'd be 80 miles from a Yanmar dealer and 10 miles from two Deere dealers and one NH dealer..... (hate the Kubota rocker pedal on the hydro). I'd prefer Tier 3 until all the bugs are out of the Tier 4's. I've read the recent post about the spotty welding and links in the Yanmar etc. Thanks in advance for the input. gjsnow

I have heard that Yanmar tractors are the last to go to tier 4 because they had a lot of credits built up and could wait longer? I read that on here somewhere. They clearly have the ability because their engines are in many other tractor manufactures. I have had no problems with my Yanmar model sx 3100. 2.5 years and about 250 hours so far.

<NSLayoutConstraint:0x17ef62e0 UIInputSetHostView:0x17e21a90.bottom == UIInputSetContainerView:0x17e222d0.bottom>

/ Why should I NOT buy a new LX 4500 or LX 4900? #7  
I don't own one, but I looked at an LX450 a while back and it looked like a real nice tractor.

/ Why should I NOT buy a new LX 4500 or LX 4900? #8  
I sell the Kubota and Yanmar Brands. Both Tractors Are TOP of The Line!! You can't go wrong with either one. Yanmar will be introducing a Bunch of New 2016 Models with tier 4 engines. I get to see and drive them at the end of this month.

/ Why should I NOT buy a new LX 4500 or LX 4900? #9  
Tractor-3-www.jpgTractor-2-www.pngTractor-1-www.jpgCouple of pics

/ Why should I NOT buy a new LX 4500 or LX 4900? #10  
My Yanmar LX4500 has been great, approaching 300 hours. I've done a little bit of most everything I think: spreading gravel, driveway grading, 6 foot bush hogging, stump grinding, roto-tilling, forklifting, firewood harvesting, weed cultivating, wood chipping, snow plowing,. Haven't put a snowblower on it yet, but that's on order. I think these Yanmar Tier3s are the best bargain out there.

I do think the Yanmar CUT tractor brand suffers a little from name recognition at this point, but if you talk to someone who has had a Yanmar-built John Deere, or a marine diesel engine in their boat, they know its a quality engineered product. My dealer is 100 miles away, support has been great, getting parts or upgrades like rear remote hydraulic kits has not been a problem.