why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #1  

FinallyFarming

Tractor
ATMoJomama12!@
We've been tractor shopping lately. looking for ~150HP tractor for multi use but mostly haying (and some loader work). Most new tractor models offer several HP ratings within the same 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine. How can that be? For example, 115HP 125HP 135HP and 145HP are all options of the same 4 cylinder tractor model. JD and NH and MF and CaseIH all do this. Is it risky to buy the max HP within the model range? thinking the engine might be barely able to reach that spec? Maybe it's smarter to buy the low HP option and have plenty of room for the engine to over perform?

Any insights?

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #2  
I think you'll find it all comes down to price. In some cases EVERYTHING is the same except the "fuel screw" or computer setting and the decal on the tractor. I priced out a utility Deere a few years back and 20 HP more was 10,000 more even though nothing was different but the pump setting.

In other cases, the engine might be the same size but injectors, turbo size/presence, intercooler size/presence, engine internals etc are all difference. Sometimes the rest of the power train is beefier too or tire/wheels sizes etc. You'd have to research model carefully.

I'd buy on what the budget is AND how much power you really need. If you need 150 HP, then start pricing there. Depends on what you are running. Loader work by itself doesn't need a ton of power, but weight etc. Large discbine you'd want the power etc.

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #3  
Yep, manufacturers way of upcharging you. Because they know most peoples mentality is "bigger is better"

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #4  
We've been tractor shopping lately. looking for ~150HP tractor for multi use but mostly haying (and some loader work). Most new tractor models offer several HP ratings within the same 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engine. How can that be? For example, 115HP 125HP 135HP and 145HP are all options of the same 4 cylinder tractor model. JD and NH and MF and CaseIH all do this. Is it risky to buy the max HP within the model range? thinking the engine might be barely able to reach that spec? Maybe it's smarter to buy the low HP option and have plenty of room for the engine to over perform?

Any insights?
Quit obsessing with horsepower, look at the entire tractor, what specs do you need? Compare weight, hydraulic flow, what pto options do they have? The engines are built at the Max, then de-rated for lower numbers.

Those 4 Pot SISU (AGCO) diesels really crank out the hp/torque. Do not discount their ability just because they are 4 cylinders.

Last edited:
   / why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #5  
It's smart product marketing because if they can make basically the same tractor, but sell it at higher prices just by upping the HP out of nearly the same components, they can make more $.

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #6  
always buy the maximum horsepower in any given frame size unless your budget needs a lower price point.

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #7  
always buy the maximum horsepower in any given frame size unless your budget needs a lower price point.
I usually do the opposite. I buy the largest heaviest tractor with the smallest HP. I never feel like I need more power, mostly more weight. Both my tractors follow this method.

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #8  

Any insights?
If it came to a 150HP tractor, I’d rather have a turned down 6-cylinder than a turned up 4-cylinder.
6-cylinder diesel engines are a perfect fit for 125 and up HP tractors.

It is funny how a tractor will cost thousands more just for the pump being turned up a bit more on the same engine, transmission, chassis….

Last edited:
   / why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower #9  
Quit obsessing with horsepower, look at the entire tractor, what specs do you need? Compare weight, hydraulic flow, what pto options do they have? The engines are built at the Max, then de-rated for lower numbers.

Those 4 Pot SISU (AGCO) diesels really crank out the hp/torque. Do not discount their ability just because they are 4 cylinders.
Those are powerful engines. I am curious to see what their longevity is, though.
I’d still prefer a straight 6 over any of them.

Would think the longer crankshaft would make for more torque and rotating mass. I had 2 Kubotas with 6.1L 4 cylinder engines in them and they didn’t really impress me despite their huge displacement. Replaced those tractors with a same HP Challenger with a 6.6L Perkins 6-cylinder and More powerful.

/ why so many horsepower options? Many tractor models offers a wide range of horsepower
Thanks for each of your responses. Much appreciated. We started out with a weight goal (14000 to 17000 lbs) and turn radius target, then chose dealers within 60 miles from us. Each dealer offered a model with multiple HP choices 145 155 165 and 180, but everything else seems equal, just the HP changes). Ya, the other big decision is 4 or 6 cylinder. We're thinking 4 cylinder for better fuel economy. Our most demanding load is the no-till or min-till drill, and big discbine.