Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine?

/ Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine? #1  

Suburban Plowboy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3710
Hope it's okay to put a backhoe question here.

I saw an interesting backhoe on the web. At 29.5K, the price is right, since I would probably be putting under 200 hours a year on it. I don't need a new machine.

Anyway, generally, ads for these things are pretty lame. "Hours unknown." No information about leaks or wear. "Runs!"

I found one with a very detailed ad. It supposedly has 2400 hours on it. Nonetheless, the ad lists a ton of work:

When it came in it had some leaks and a bit of a miss due to not being used alot over the last few years. We started by cleaning the fuel system entirely and replaced the injectors all 4 are brand new after doing so it still had a slight miss so we then replaced the injection pump .In the mean time we went ahead and replaced 3 out of 4 tires , replaced the suspension seat ( had a rip in it ) , repacked most every cylinder , serviced the unit , greased , pressure washed , replaced the decals , and did an upper end service. The upper end serviced consists of a fresh head gasket , having the machine shop plain the head , re-work/ replace the valves , valve seats , copper orings ect.and re-torqued head to oem specs.

Here is what I am wondering about: how can all that work be needed just because a machine sat around? Most of the hydraulic cylinders had leaks. And why would a machine with 2700 hours need to have the head planed and the valves replaced?

I know 2400 hours mean it's not new, but I know a lot of earth moving machines go much longer than that. I always assume any tractor under 4K should be in reasonably good shape.

/ Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine? #2  
I try to avoid buying a machine with that’s had a ton of work. I’d rather have a machine or vehicle that’s worked for 20 years and with a few minor problems vs one that’s had 20k in work. One is a good machine and the other is a piece of junk.

/ Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine?
It clearly blew a gasket at some time, but I don't know why that would necessarily screw up the valves. Maybe they ran it with a bad gasket and coolant got in there?

/ Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine? #4  
How old is it? I agree with the poster above you. When something starts needing that much work you have to figure that something else will go wrong.

I'm the master at buying machines of various types which turn into money holes.

Ad says it's a 2005.

/ Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine? #7  
Hope it's okay to put a backhoe question here.

I saw an interesting backhoe on the web. At 29.5K, the price is right, since I would probably be putting under 200 hours a year on it. I don't need a new machine.

Anyway, generally, ads for these things are pretty lame. "Hours unknown." No information about leaks or wear. "Runs!"

I found one with a very detailed ad. It supposedly has 2400 hours on it. Nonetheless, the ad lists a ton of work:

Here is what I am wondering about: how can all that work be needed just because a machine sat around? Most of the hydraulic cylinders had leaks. And why would a machine with 2700 hours need to have the head planed and the valves replaced?

I know 2400 hours mean it's not new, but I know a lot of earth moving machines go much longer than that. I always assume any tractor under 4K should be in reasonably good shape.
Most of my stuff is old enough it has had some work, so that doesn't scare me much. Sounds like this one might have got hot with all the top end work, I would probably avoid it. The tires, seat, and seals sound pretty normal for the year and hours though.

best,

ed

/ Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine? #8  
How mas it maintained? Who operated it?

Perhaps I will learn those things if they decide to respond to my inquiry.

/ Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine? #10  
Generally, if someone is proud of what they are selling, they will expand on the fact that it has had regular maintenance and provide service records, even if they did all the work themselves.

Vague seller descriptions means they are hiding something.

I'd run away from this one!