Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine?

/ Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine?
They're running away from ME!

I'm checking out an equipment auction next week. Why buy from people who buy from auctions when I can cut out the middleman?

/ Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine? #14  
Look at the exhaust. If it looks like rain water could get down the exhaust, that may be the reason for rebuilding the whole top end. I'd pull a leak down and compression test, and if good, not be too concerned about it. If you were in my area, cylinder that are tight in the summer weep in the winter until warmed up (if they ever do get warmed up, that is), but you're down in Florida, so I cannot say why the cylinders needed to be repacked. I would thing hoses would rot out long before cylinder would leak unless the hydro oil was old and contaminated with rust.

/ Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine? #15  
With something in that shape you had
better just purchase a brand new macine
as the repairs just might get the cost up!
So just save your self the hassle and get
a new machine that you can use right away
instead of having a back to pay for all the
repairs and parts plus all the time it takes
to get something like up and running

willy

With something in that shape you had
better just purchase a brand new macine
as the repairs just might get the cost up!
So just save your self the hassle and get
a new machine that you can use right away
instead of having a back to pay for all the
repairs and parts plus all the time it takes
to get something like up and running

willy
It's running now. They claim they rebuilt the top end, packed most of the cylinders, and replaced three tires

I'm not spending $120,000 on a new machine. Only crazy people, big companies, and billionaires buy new backhoes. I could rebuild an old machine from the ground up for a fraction of that.

Also, new machines have expensive eco-crap on them, and it breaks down a lot.

/ Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine? #17  
I try to avoid buying a machine with that’s had a ton of work. I’d rather have a machine or vehicle that’s worked for 20 years and with a few minor problems vs one that’s had 20k in work. One is a good machine and the other is a piece of junk.
I work on my machines when they need it but realize that every time I do I'm probably doing something that will require more work later. It's a downward spiral IMHO.

/ Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine? #18  
I work on my machines when they need it but realize that every time I do I'm probably doing something that will require more work later. It's a downward spiral IMHO.

I understand all machines break but when something has already had a whole pile of work it’s a trend that’s probably going to continue.

/ Why so Much Work on a 2400-Hour Machine? #19  
Was it by chance a flood machine and water killed the top end and injection system ? Sounds like it had some rust or something in the top end to require that kind of work.

I don't know anything about its history because the dealer apparently has a policy of not responding to inquiries. I think you're supposed to drive to the dealership and take hostages in order to get a question answered.

Today I went to an auction lot. They had a lot of equipment. Trucks, backhoes, tractors...you name it. The backhoes looked pretty bad. Wet hoses. Bald tires. The auction people don't list the hours on the machines, and you can't turn them on to get the digital dashboards to tell you.

There was no way to tell how much play the booms and sticks had in them because the buckets were on the ground.

My impression is that either they sell these things dirt cheap, or only morons buy them. Maybe they turn the keys on auction day. I didn't ask.

Last edited: