Why the RTV?

/ Why the RTV? #1  

swoods80

I see a lot of posts about the RTV. I was wondering why the decesion was made for the RTV over the Polaris Ranger? From the specs on the web it looks like the Polaris has a larger tow capacity, higher speed and more bed capacity. I think its costs are below the RTV in addition. With all this in mind, why would one choose the RTV over the Polaris Ranger?

/ Why the RTV? #2  
swoods80

Great question. Prior to the RTV coming to be this past spring, I did figure the Ranger was the best machine for my needs (primarily work machine). I guess it'll depend on just a couple things. My Dad's works great for what he has/needs, the RTV does what I need.

Terrain:
Mud:
The Ranger can get through mud a lot easier. It drives like a quad through it. The RTV weighs a ton, and for the worksite version (what I have), the tires don't like it and weighing about 600# more than the Ranger, it sinks.

Hills:
The RTV's transmission is much better on hills. The Ranger has no engine brake so coming down a hill (especially with a load) is trying on the Ranger's brakes. The RTV's transmission will hold you at a steady pace.

Noise:
The Ranger gets pretty loud as RPM's increase. Can't even talk to the co-rider at high speed. The RTV's engine "seems" to be about the same decibels at idle vs. full speed. I can talk to my 2 year old at full speed on the RTV. My dad and I can't yell to each other in the Ranger at the same speed.

Options:
RTV - Diesel vs. Ranger gas. I've always prefered a diesel.

Power steering on the RTV - In close quarters or fast turns, definitely handy. The Ranger turns sharper and steers relatively easily but in my tight trails, I don't have time to spin the steering the amount necessary for the gearing on the Rangers steering.

Hydraulic dump on RTV. Add to the Ranger and the prices are getting closer.

So, I'd say if you have mud, relatively open areas, no significant hills and a want for more speed, go with the Ranger. (If you have these conditions but looking for more of a recreational machine, look also at the Rhino).

If you have tight areas, hills that you're coming down while under load but most of the time have a solid footing, the RTV works great.

The RTV is more of a work machine, the Ranger a cross of work and play.

BTW. I wouldn't go by the mfgr. specs explicitly. Take them for a ride and look around to find what you need.

/ Why the RTV? #3  
Go look at the Ranger and drive it. Then go look at the RTV and drive it. After close inspection I believe that you will see that it is simply not really possible for the Ranger to have more bed capacity or towing capacity. With the RTV weighing over 600 pounds more, there is no possible way that the Ranger can stop or pull like the RTV. Also, I owned two JD Gators. One gas powered and the other diesel. The "specs" on the gas and diesel lead you to believe that they have the same power. Not even close. The diesel has so much more power that it makes the gas powered one feel sick. Look at the rear suspension and strength of materials used between the two. Again, there is no way the Ranger will hold up to the weight that the RTV will. As bczoom said, the Ranger is more of a play and fun vehicle that can also work. The RTV is made for working. I actually was going to buy the 6 wheel drive Ranger until I drove both and crawled all over and under both. The power steering does make a difference in the ease of driving for the RTV. Also, there is no comparison between the two in the transmission area, as far as strength and durability goes. I actually liked the Rhino better than the Ranger after I drove both. It felt faster and had more snap to it. If I wanted a play vehicle that could also do some work, I'd likely buy the Rhino. This is not to mention the hundreds of posts I've read on numerous different sites concerning the durability of the Polaris vehicles compared to the Honda, Yamaha, Kubota (tractors), and John Deere Gators. I have two friends who have the Polaris ATV's and they are fast. They are also always working on them. Some people may disagree with this, but I'm going on the average comments on hundreds and hundreds of posts I read on numerous sites. Good luck. Just be sure to drive anything you are considering and compare build quality.

/ Why the RTV? #4  
Swoods80,

Bczood did a great job of summarizing some of the attributes of the Kubota RTV and the Polaris Ranger. I have owned a Polaris Ranger 6x6 for 5 plus years. In that time all I have done is work the heck out it without a single repair. Both machines have their place. The Ranger is a better multi-use machine. If you're a hunter, there just isn't a place it won't go.

OrangeGuy

/ Why the RTV? #5  
My reason was that the RTV just seems to be a stronger built machine. The Ranger was my pick until I was able to fool with the RTV. Ranger will go faster but for my purposes, that really didn't play into the equation. I like the diesel, the dump bed, transmission, and power steering. I actually got to use mine this past weekend and love it. I have the recreational model with the "mud" tires (not super aggressive but better than turf for offroad) and maneuvering in the woods was a breeze. I guess in the end you have to see which one fits your purposes the best and go with it. I also liked that there is little plastic on the Kubota compared to the ranger. Better built bed and such. Frame size is a lot different also but you pay for all that with the extra weight. GS

/ Why the RTV? #6  
The best reason to get an RTV is

Its made by Kubota. period.

/ Why the RTV? #7  
Besides all the reasons listed above: VHT transmission, Kubota diesel engine, power steering - there's also a couple of other reasons I went with the RTV900. I plan to use my RTV900 mostly for plowing. Kubota offers more options such as a hard cab and heater that Polaris doesn't. Also, and this is personal, I don't really have a convenient Polaris dealer in the area.

If I had to choose just one reason though, it would be the transmission that sets the RTV900 apart from all the other competitors. It's all listed in the Kubota web site:

http://www.kubota.com/UV900/dts/benefit/index.html

/ Why the RTV? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The best reason to get an RTV is

Its made by Kubota. period. )</font>

And the best reason not to buy a ranger is that it is made by polaris!

/ Why the RTV?
Thanks everyone for the information. Its a big decision to make (money wise for me at least) so I appreciate the comments.

/ Why the RTV? #10  
swoods80,

Good luck with your decision and let us know how it works out. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I believe pretty much all mfgrs. are offering special financing if you want to go that route. Make sure you add up all the options to come up with the final price. (E.g. when I added the dump box and stuff, the Ranger price was close to the RTV)