Why Video An Inexperienced Operator?

/ Why Video An Inexperienced Operator? #42  
   / Why Video An Inexperienced Operator? #43  
I was amazed at the number of pencil pushers on that site that said you could TIG weld without gas. Try it sometime.

I am not sure about to what you are referring. The link should take you to a page with six answers to the question about looking at the welding arc. None of the answers says anything about TIG welding without gas.

If you did get to that page, what did you think of the response from Bill Otto?

/ Why Video An Inexperienced Operator? #44  
I am not sure about to what you are referring. The link should take you to a page with six answers to the question about looking at the welding arc. None of the answers says anything about TIG welding without gas.

If you did get to that page, what did you think of the response from Bill Otto?

It was another link on that page about TIG welding without gas. Yes, I agree looking at welding arcs from any distance is NOT a good idea. I don't know how the guy welding on the muffler pipe was able to see anything. Maybe he is totally blind and has no retinas or corneas anymore. I just don't know. I believe his glasses had some tint in them, but jeez not even enough for gas welding let alone MIG welding.

/ Why Video An Inexperienced Operator? #45  
I think he probably was just looking when he placed the tip, closed his eyes, and did it by feel. I've tacked a couple things that way, but no way would I do it that long and cobble up some piece of crud like he did. YIKES!

/ Why Video An Inexperienced Operator? #46  
It was another link on that page about TIG welding without gas. .

Ah-ha! I didn't look at the other links.