Why was BX23 production only one year ?

/ Why was BX23 production only one year ? #1  

lawlopez

Silver Member
Tractor
JD X450, Kubota BX23
People seem to like the BX23.
It seemed only to be produced from 2004 to 2005.
Then BX24 production started.

Many like the BX23 because there is more metal.

/ Why was BX23 production only one year ? #2  
First, all the BXs change in incremental steps. It is by evolution, not not revolution that changes come. When Kubota feels it is time for a slight, incremental change, they may give it refresh and assign a new model number to the line. Kubota briefly toyed with the plastic hood and fenders, but got off that idea quite quickly.

My gut tells me that the next BX might warrant a revolutionary change, not merely a tweak here or there. We shall see.

/ Why was BX23 production only one year ? #3  
People seem to like the BX23.
It seemed only to be produced from 2004 to 2005.
Then BX24 production started.

Many like the BX23 because there is more metal.

The 23 had a few improvements over the 22 and didn't have as many issues as the 24.

You could say the BX23 was a sweet spot in the BX progression.

/ Why was BX23 production only one year ? #4  
The 23 had a few improvements over the 22 and didn't have as many issues as the 24.

You could say the BX23 was a sweet spot in the BX progression.

Until the BX25 came out. :D :D

/ Why was BX23 production only one year ?
I really like the BX25.
But I can get an old BX23 for a lot less.

What scared me was few BX23 videos blowing snow and a one year run of production.

What is good though, is that the same snowblower (which has been upgraded) is used on BX23, BX24, BX25. And the snowblower has been revised too.

So this all hang together.

/ Why was BX23 production only one year ? #6  
After the BX23 came out, Woods introduced the BH6000 with curved boom. When Kubota went from BX23 to BX24, they not only moved to plastic, they changed the bh boom from angled to curved. The plastic had problems, so in going from BX24 to BX25, they eliminated much of the plastic, tweaked the engine for more hp, but kept the curved bh boom.

The idea behind the plastic was to stop rust on tractors that work in areas with snow (thus also salt). The plastic fender cracked due to its connection to the floorboard and Americans (who weigh more than Japanese) putting too much weight on it. The BX24 went through several modifications in attempt to remedy this. They finally just went back to mostly metal and changed the model number.

Tractors are not like cars in seeing a new model every year. When you have a good product, you keep making it. When management thinks engineers have come up with changes worth implementing, they do so and change the model number. In going from BX23 to BX24, Kubota thought it had a winning design change in eliminating rust-through. They did not foresee the problems that resulted, however.

/ Why was BX23 production only one year ?
Thanks Tom for the history, exactly what I was hoping to learn.

I've been a fan of Kubota for 20 years.

We purchased a used John Deere 950 at a good price 20 years ago.

We are intending on purchasing a used BX23 and selling the John Deere, it's just too big for us now.

Larry

Last edited:
   / Why was BX23 production only one year ? #8  
As noted in a previous post, Kubota usually changes the numbers when the tractor changes. Most times, it is as BP said, an evolutionary or relatively minor change. For instance, the only significant difference in the BX 22 and BX 23 is that the loader valve stays on the tractor when the loader is removed from the BX 23. The valve came off with the loader on the BX22 making it duifficult to use with other attachments.

I would have to say the differences in the BX23 and the BX24 are "revolutionary", to borrow BP Fick's words again. Almost no parts are the same, including the body work, frame, transaxle, front axle, engine, brakes, front wheels, 3 point hitch, instrumentation, electrical system, hydraulics, loader or backhoe. The BX24 was essentially a totally new tractor.

In the number of changes made, the BX25 was again, an evolutionary change with return to metal fenders and hood (engine side cowls remain plastic), and reduction of the abrupt stop in reverse that seriously annoyed some owners. Almost everything else remained the same as the BX24, including engine hp (and the exception of price of course).

All of the tractors are excellent reliable machines with real capabilities. Obviously, each has a well deserved, extremely loyal following. You will enjoy whichever version you finally choose.

/ Why was BX23 production only one year ? #9  
Production of the BX23 ran 2 yrs, 2004 - 2006. Kubota Tractor Corporation - Prior Product - BXSeries
There is always model overlap where both the old and new models can be purchased brand new.

The later model BX22's (made in 2004) changed over to the version of the LA211 FEL where the valve stayed w/the tractor. Basically, it's not unusual to run across 2 BX22's with differing FEL setups.

Known issues w/the BX23 are known and minor, they include:
1) air filter bracket band breaks. I recently had to swap mine for the 1st time at approx 560 hrs, cost $10. Excessive low idling may be the cause....

2) leaking fuel around the fuel sender. I've never had this problem on my BX23 (knock on wood), but Kubota has a repair kit available for approx $15 should it be required.

Thats it. Kubota's 1st BX TLB was the BX22 and was very good, they incororated the best of the BX22 & got it right w/the BX23, went alittle too radical w/the BX24 then incorporated the best of the BX23 & BX24 in the new and improved BX25.

A well maintained BX23 will give you 1000's of service hrs.

Dave

/ Why was BX23 production only one year ? #10  
Thanks Tom for the history, exactly what I was hoping to learn.
1*We are intending on purchasing a used BX23 and selling the John Deere, it's just too big for us now.
Larry
1*I have a 2004 BX23 I bought new.
Would not trade it for a BX 22,24. 25 or 26.