Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact?

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #1  

Darryl N

Tractor
Kioti CK2610 HST loader/backhoe
I searched for wicked root rake and was overwhelmed at the prospect of reading 361+ pages, so asking here.

I like the reduced weight serrated design, their product testing (abuse) videos and user videos are convincing, and the price isn't that bad compared to some I've seen, but 10-12 week lead time, dayum! I understand they are building out a production facility which should be coming on line soon.

Questions:
  1. If you have used a wicked 55 on a 25hp tractor, what is your experience on tree stumps, compared to using a backhoe.
  2. Good online site to buy one used?
  3. Any credible knock-offs?
1680188631148.png

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #3  
it is too wide to rip out a stump unless it is very small. excavators use a single ripper tooth to rip out stumps . it can be done with a bucket but takes time. You have to be realistic with your expectations and pick the right tool for the job. root grapples may be good at ripping out multiple small sapling sized roots but definitely not anything I would call a stump. especially on a 25hp tractor. you will not have much lifting and pulling power left and risk damaging something.

they are great for grabbing objects or logs or rocks and picking up and crushing brush. I built an attachment on mine to grab saplings and rip them out. works great for that.

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #4  
I have a EA 55 long bottom grapple, I had to wait a long time and it was definitely worth the wait but I got mine pre-covid. I think the EA will be hard to beat in the size/strength vs weight department.

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact?
When choosing a grapple it is important to consider FEL lift capacity vs weight of grapple. I have a Homestead Implement grapple for a compact tractor 72'' wide. But they have smaller ones Sub-Compact Tractor Grapple Independence Series
Thanks for the input. (y) edit: Homestead "Sub-Compact Tractor Grapple Independence Series" is 54", 190 lbs, and $1780, so thanks for the suggestion! :D

I have a Kioti CK2610, FEL lift is 1800, EA wicked 55 is 239 lb, so I selected it based on that.

Homestead "Sub-Compact Tractor Grapple Independence Series":
1680198845973.png

Last edited:
   / Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact?
it is too wide to rip out a stump unless it is very small. excavators use a single ripper tooth to rip out stumps . it can be done with a bucket but takes time. You have to be realistic with your expectations and pick the right tool for the job. root grapples may be good at ripping out multiple small sapling sized roots but definitely not anything I would call a stump. especially on a 25hp tractor. you will not have much lifting and pulling power left and risk damaging something.

they are great for grabbing objects or logs or rocks and picking up and crushing brush. I built an attachment on mine to grab saplings and rip them out. works great for that.
Appreciate the comments. (y) I agree 25hp is weak sauce, but it's all I've got. I'm just a retired guy puttering around, plenty of time, not much money. $2500 is a lot of dough.

"It can be done with a bucket but takes time" Do you mean with a backhoe or what?

Got pics of your homebrew sapling attachment?

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #7  
Your CK2610 will run any hydraulic or loader attachment the other CK's will run; despite it's small engine the machine isn't a subcompact and you'd be limiting yourself with subcompact attachments.

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #8  
This is more in line with what it's capable of; with that said, EA is a great manufacturer and if I hadn't bundled my grapple in at the dealer I would have gone with a Wicked.

20220703_165751.jpg

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #9  
I searched for wicked root rake and was overwhelmed at the prospect of reading 361+ pages, so asking here.

I like the reduced weight serrated design, their product testing (abuse) videos and user videos are convincing, and the price isn't that bad compared to some I've seen, but 10-12 week lead time, dayum! I understand they are building out a production facility which should be coming on line soon.

Questions:
  1. If you have used a wicked 55 on a 25hp tractor, what is your experience on tree stumps, compared to using a backhoe.
  2. Good online site to buy one used?
  3. Any credible knock-offs?
View attachment 792053
You will damage your FEL if you try and rip out a stump with this..unless it has been rotting for 20 years. The reason to get a grapple is to move brush, logs and rake small roots/undergrowth out of the ground (think Juniper, etc). You can use them for moving small boulders...but removing a stump is a bad idea. A few hits on the outside of that grapple and you are going to twist your FEL up. Just my opinion.

Backhoe is much better on stumps...but on a small machine like yours it will take time. Be patient, start far outside the main trunk to break roots. An excavator or full size backhoe is preferred...but not aways an option!

Specifically on the EA grapple....extremely well made. I had a Landpride on my larger machine (now sold) which was also really beefy. Weight for strength I am not sure EA can be beat. Mine is fantastic. I have the Wicked 60 on my L6060. I waited for 3 months I believe...but ordered when winter set in so it was no problem at all waiting.

/ Wicked 55 root rake grapple on a 25HP compact? #10  
This feels like the wrong tool for the job. When you do that, you break things.