Widening Snowblower Front

/ Widening Snowblower Front #1  

doxford jim

Veteran Member
Tractor
1959 MF-65 sold, 2007 Jinma 554 diesel.
Hi Guys,

I have a TPH snow blower 73" wide at the business end. My tractor rear wheels are 76" outside to outside. The end result is that the rear wheels rub against the newly cut snow bank and cause some spillage back onto the driveway.

I have read somewhere on this website, of another owner who has widened his snowblower by adding "wings" on each side of the front of the blower, to make the effective clearing distance wider.

In my case I would like to widen each side by 4" to 6", so that I could blow snow and have a clearance for the rear wheels - a couple of inch clearance on the rear wheels would be great.

Does anyone have a design or arrangement that they would be willing to share?
I have a design in mind but thought I would toss this out for discussion - I am always willing to learn something new.

I have searched this website and have not come up with anything - possibly because of using the wrong search criteria wording.

Anyone out there with some good idea's please feel free to comment.

I should mention that I don't intend to widen the complete blower by installing extensions - but rather was thinking of bolting "wing tips" to the outside (made from heavy gauge sheet metal) only. I don't have the equipment or skills to widen the screw, shaft and casing.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

/ Widening Snowblower Front #2  
Give your design a shot, and let us know how it works.

A sketch or two, or pics of what you have to work with now would help.

It will have to be strong enough to handle the snow and ice, but also any objects that might be in the path (or be flexible enough to fold out of the way or be easily replaced).

/ Widening Snowblower Front #3  
The 'wings' experiment that was reported was 'retracted' because the snow stuck to them and fouled the auger. He used a steel dogleg style wing instead of a straight angled plate, so I can see how the inbound snow would get jambed up.

What about using a heavy plastic wing made from, say, a heavy truck mudflap? Heck, I'd even try a piece of plywood at first.

What about narrowing the wheels inward a few inches and/or offsetting the blower to the drift side?

/ Widening Snowblower Front #4  
The blower on my Kubota has exactly what you are describing, 'Z' shaped pieces of sheet metal on each side that widen the cut a few inches. They came that way when I bought the machine used and look like a factory part to me. They are bolted to the inside of the blower and have a triangular brace at the top that bolts back to the top of the blower. The bottom edges are radiused so they don't snag. They work fine and make the blower an inch or two wider than the tires on each side. Here's a picture of the whole thing.

Hi Guys,

I have a TPH snow blower 73" wide at the business end. My tractor rear wheels are 76" outside to outside. The end result is that the rear wheels rub against the newly cut snow bank and cause some spillage back onto the driveway.

I have read somewhere on this website, of another owner who has widened his snowblower by adding "wings" on each side of the front of the blower, to make the effective clearing distance wider.

In my case I would like to widen each side by 4" to 6", so that I could blow snow and have a clearance for the rear wheels - a couple of inch clearance on the rear wheels would be great.

Does anyone have a design or arrangement that they would be willing to share?
I have a design in mind but thought I would toss this out for discussion - I am always willing to learn something new.

I have searched this website and have not come up with anything - possibly because of using the wrong search criteria wording.

Anyone out there with some good idea's please feel free to comment.

I should mention that I don't intend to widen the complete blower by installing extensions - but rather was thinking of bolting "wing tips" to the outside (made from heavy gauge sheet metal) only. I don't have the equipment or skills to widen the screw, shaft and casing.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Attachments

• B3030snow.jpg
    B3030snow.jpg
    773.7 KB · Views: 1,925
   / Widening Snowblower Front
ruren,

Thanks for showing the photograph.
Yes, that is exactly what I had in mind. Interesting to see that top brace - I had visions of reinforcing with 1/4" x 1" flat bar, bolted on to make it easy to remove/repair/straighten etc.

Need to go measure my blower and get the sheet metal cut and bent - now that I know this might just work. Gonna be a big improvement I think.

I thing the clogged auger is more a function of ground speed (too fast) than the extra width. Travelling too fast feeds too much snow into impeller casing.
Slow and easy with good PTO revs seems to throw the snow a good 25 - 30 ft for me.

Thanks for all input.

Jim

/ Widening Snowblower Front #6  
Jim
I made wings as per your plan for my 47" blower on a JD 2520.
Total added width was 6", 3" per side. I used 11 Gauge (1/8" thick) steel; not sure of the grade, but really tough stuff. It has held up perfectly. I your case some bracing may be required for 6" per side extension. There are some pics in this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ng/112422-2520-just-keeps-getting-longer.html

Last year we had a big snow with plenty of big drifts up to 7 feet and everything worked well, but could have used the drift cutters which I put on over the summer.

The angles on the wings are 45 degrees with a nice radius in the bends (not sharp).

Keep in mind that the wings will gather a lot of snow (especially wind driven hard pack) so you may need to slow down a bit.

Any questions, let me know.

/ Widening Snowblower Front #7  
goodbyeNJ
Looks like a great addition.

How, after three years, have the wings made out? Still pretty straight?
And what are the drift cutters that you mention adding over the summer?

/ Widening Snowblower Front
Jim
I made wings as per your plan for my 47" blower on a JD 2520.
Total added width was 6", 3" per side. I used 11 Gauge (1/8" thick) steel; not sure of the grade, but really tough stuff. It has held up perfectly. I your case some bracing may be required for 6" per side extension. There are some pics in this thread: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...ng/112422-2520-just-keeps-getting-longer.html

Last year we had a big snow with plenty of big drifts up to 7 feet and everything worked well, but could have used the drift cutters which I put on over the summer.

The angles on the wings are 45 degrees with a nice radius in the bends (not sharp).

Keep in mind that the wings will gather a lot of snow (especially wind driven hard pack) so you may need to slow down a bit.

Any questions, let me know.

NJ,

Thanks for the link. I checked it out and your wings look good and are exactly what I had in mind - inscludiing the 1/8" thick steel.

My snowblower will cut up to 30" high (measured height to the top of the casing) and is 73" wide. It is pretty well built, just not quite wide enough. At $800 I thought it was a pretty good buy - though I know other have bought more cheaply. So, with just being a few inches short in width, it makes sense to put on a couple of wings as you have done.

The other day i went through 24" snow that was blown in front of my gate, by the highway maintenance snowplows. I expected some real resistance, but the blower went through it very well and the sight of the snow being blown into the ditch about 30ft away, was something. Much better than using the FEL bucket.

I think the material thickness of 1/8" would be ample for my needs. I will be bracing the wings at three places - top, midway and bottom.

I will post pics when I get them done.

Thanks to all - the idea's have helped me a lot. Much cheaper than getting another snowblower and I can always unbolt them if they don't work well.

Thanks again guys :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Jim

/ Widening Snowblower Front #9  
Rather than bracing, I'd suggest letting the wings bend if/when they meet an immovable object. Adding bracing will just mean the stress will be placed somewhere where you may not want it.

Bending the wings back to original position will likely be easier than fixing what else breaks of bends.

Think of them as adequate until you find out they are not.

Just a suggestion.

/ Widening Snowblower Front #10  
Beenthere
After three years the wings are "straight as new". I did change to a larger radius on the bottom after the first year. When my downhill drive meets the road, which has a crown, the bottom corners got a little dinged - larger radius - problem solved. Drive is double wide and about 850 feet long with large, wide aprons at the garages and barn and parking area next to garages - blower gets a lot of use.
The drift cutters are the stock JD cutters that came with the blower - just a piece of 1/4" steel about 21" long and 1 3/4" wide slightly bent in the center along it's length, for rigidity.

Jim
Glad to be of some help. My original plan called for braces, but decided to try it without - braces not needed. I'd be a little more concerned with your planned 6" extension. Beenthere has a good point about going without braces.
The wings become sacrificial, rather than busting something else. The most expensive part of the wings was the JD primer and paint.
The biggest problem I have is deep hardpack with a crown on the drive and ice underneath - it wants to suck the tractor in to the working side - turn brakes a must. Good luck, let me know if you need assistance.
By the way, sounds like you got a great deal!
Pics attached of Feb snow debacle.

Attachments

• feb snow 1.jpg
    feb snow 1.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,072
  • feb_snow 2.jpg
    feb_snow 2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 690