Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #31  
WELL CRAP!!! We have 3 cars under full coverage with them. I hope they don't pull that crap, if so I will be insurance shopping.
See what riders or addendums are on your policy. Like I said go over with a fine tooth comb on what they are paying you on. Making sure they at least have the correct trim level etc. I will say some may consider my claims shady considering it was right before and during the economic collapse of the mid 2000s. Recently argued with a smaller agency on my wife's windshield replacement when they were trying to get us to pay for all the sensor recalibration and paying the difference for a OEM windshield cuz aftermarket ones would not work with the adaptive cruise control etc. personally I don't mind getting aftermarket parts as long as there a functional replacement. Good luck I'm curious how it goes.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #32  
I was SOOOOOO close to putting this car under liability only before the accident, I am glad I didn't. If this gets totaled I will definitely drop it down to liability.
Used to work with someone who had an older vehicle. They canceled coverage for the vehicle and then had an accident. The spouse hit the vehicle with another family car. :eek:

I once lowered my dental coverage and promptly bit into a bone in meat in a Taco Bell product which cracked a tooth and required a crown. 🤬 I am paranoid about changing coverage of anything. 😁

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #33  
my agent told me that if repair exceeded 80% of car value it would be a total

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #34  
In my VERY preliminary research on value I saw numbers about $8000-$9000. I would be pretty OK with that I think. Especially if I can buy it back and and fix it up cheaply. How does the buy back thing work? DO they offer you that option or do you have to ask? Is that a thing that is negotiated as well?
As Eagle said, pay attention to the type of title you will receive if they total it and you buy it back and fix it.

Years ago, I acquired an exotic sports car at an unbelievable price. It had been officially totaled then repaired back to brand new condition, at least visually. I had the dealer perform a full pre-purchase inspection before I bought it. But regardless, it later sold for an unbelievable price (low, well below market) because the title said SALVAGE on it.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #35  
WELL CRAP!!! We have 3 cars under full coverage with them. I hope they don't pull that crap, if so I will be insurance shopping.
Sorry about the accident and I'm glad that everyone is ok.

As others have said, this is a time to be diligent, checking details, and making sure that you get what you have been paying for. Try to keep the adjusters moving along so it doen't get lost.

I have had an insurer tell me that they were going to total my car, only to discover that the adjuster had configured my vehicle as a base model without any options, a configuration that was never sold. It went downhill from there. I stuck to what I knew to be right until they got the details right, and ultimately got the car repaired, but it was both a long process and a learning experience. IIRC, not only did the State Insurance commission get involved, but the insurer later washed up in the Attorney General's office as it turned out their adjusters were taking kickbacks from body shops. Big stink. I changed insurers as soon as the car was repaired to one of the big companies, and have been quite happy since.

The irony of the story was it was my mechanic who had the accident, and he did not lift a finger to help, beyond charging me storage fees for only the first thirty days he had my car on his lot. I was more than a little surprised that he did not take any ownership of the accident. It was too bad; he was a really good mechanic and his body shop did great work.

Live and learn. The process is not simple, and honest mistakes do happen, but do be clear on what your policies entitle you to.

All the best,

Peter

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #36  
If the other driver was at fault, don't get in any big hurry to sign off that your all physically ok. Your son's arm was sore, give it a couple weeks to make sure there isn't anything there. No whiplash or back pains etc. The other's insured wants to get all possible medical claims signed off ASAP! Take your time.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice
Sorry about the accident and I'm glad that everyone is ok.

As others have said, this is a time to be diligent, checking details, and making sure that you get what you have been paying for. Try to keep the adjusters moving along so it doen't get lost.

I have had an insurer tell me that they were going to total my car, only to discover that the adjuster had configured my vehicle as a base model without any options, a configuration that was never sold. It went downhill from there. I stuck to what I knew to be right until they got the details right, and ultimately got the car repaired, but it was both a long process and a learning experience. IIRC, not only did the State Insurance commission get involved, but the insurer later washed up in the Attorney General's office as it turned out their adjusters were taking kickbacks from body shops. Big stink. I changed insurers as soon as the car was repaired to one of the big companies, and have been quite happy since.

The irony of the story was it was my mechanic who had the accident, and he did not lift a finger to help, beyond charging me storage fees for only the first thirty days he had my car on his lot. I was more than a little surprised that he did not take any ownership of the accident. It was too bad; he was a really good mechanic and his body shop did great work.

Live and learn. The process is not simple, and honest mistakes do happen, but do be clear on what your policies entitle you to.

All the best,

Peter
Thank you Peter for that honest opinion!! I will be diligent!

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice
If the other driver was at fault, don't get in any big hurry to sign off that your all physically ok. Your son's arm was sore, give it a couple weeks to make sure there isn't anything there. No whiplash or back pains etc. The other's insured wants to get all possible medical claims signed off ASAP! Take your time.
I appreciate that sentiment and I will definitely not be signing off on any health statements, but I honestly think mama and son are 100% fine. I would know if they weren't, they both love the attention they get when they complain! :ROFLMAO: And they have not whined one bit.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #40  
I appreciate that sentiment and I will definitely not be signing off on any health statements, but I honestly think mama and son are 100% fine. I would know if they weren't, they both love the attention they get when they complain! :ROFLMAO: And they have not whined one bit.
Yes, but Yander is correct. Some things like whiplash or other things often don’t show up for awhile. Take your time before signing any settlement.