Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #62  
I would not let them touch the vehicle until we had agreed on the pricing, the totaled value and the salvage value. Then if you want to keep the vehicle and believe the prices to be good go for it.
When the same thing happened to me I keep the vehicle at my place untill we had finally agreed to values, then they wanted me to send them my title so that they could go to the state and get a salvage title. In this state registering a vehicle with a salvage title is a nightmare of bureaucratic frustration and inspections, also you have to have and show receipts for all parts replaced or changed out including airbags.
I never sent them my title and when I sold the vehicle the title did not show salvage, it was a white Dodge Dakota with a green bed.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #63  
I’ve had two cars totaled out over the years. When you do a value on Kelly Blue Book they ask you for the condition. There is an excellent category and they say less than 5% or some other small number is that nice. My cars and trucks are in that category. It’s tough to get them to give you top dollar but it’s possible. One time when they came to give me a value on a car that was wrecked, not my fault, I had my 70 Challenger out where it could be seen and it was restored to a high level.
I, for one, would like to see this 70's challenger.... Thread drift... :cool:

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #64  
I no longer own it but here it is.
IMG_0230.jpeg
IMG_1400.jpeg

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #65  
The fact that you have all of these questions for a bunch of old farts on a tractor site, : ) tells me you don't have a great insurance company or adjuster. They should explain the whole process to you and answer all of your questions. I, (wife) has totaled two cars since 2013 and the adjuster explained the whole process and we never felt jilted or confused.

Grange insurance. I have also gotten two complete roofs out of them.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice
The fact that you have all of these questions for a bunch of old farts on a tractor site, : ) tells me you don't have a great insurance company or adjuster. They should explain the whole process to you and answer all of your questions. I, (wife) has totaled two cars since 2013 and the adjuster explained the whole process and we never felt jilted or confused.

Grange insurance. I have also gotten two complete roofs out of them.
Honestly, I have not talked to an adjuster yet. My wife was the one who called the claim in because she was the driver. She got her first call from an adjuster today, the lady sounded pretty nice. I plan on giving her a follow up call tomorrow to ask a few questions. The reason I asked you old farts is just to get some advice from other people who have been through the same thing, and I am glad I did, lots of good info. I have never been in an accident or made an insurance claim in 33 years of driving (yes I just knocked on wood).

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #68  
Most policies require the settlement to be based on the “actual cash value“ of the vehicle, not a “wholesale” value. But not a Dealer‘s “asking price“ either.
You'll note I was referring to the salvage value of the car. The insurance company wouldn't be restoring the car, they'd sell it for salvage, either to the once and future owner or elsewhere.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice #69  
Be sure to ask the insurance company how this will affect your rates going forward and factor that into your decisions!

Our most recent insurance experience with one of the "better" companies was awful compared with the previous claim back in the 1990s.

Hope your situation resolves smoothly.

/ Wife got in an accident today - Need Advice
Be sure to ask the insurance company how this will affect your rates going forward and factor that into your decisions!

Our most recent insurance experience with one of the "better" companies was awful compared with the previous claim back in the 1990s.

Hope your situation resolves smoothly.
Excellent point!