Wild hogs

/ Wild hogs #1  

buck12

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota 5460HSTC
I know many of you have dealt with wild hogs. Today, while turkey hunting, I saw the first hogs on my property and I have hunted this property since I could carry a gun. There were 18 or so total. Last summer, I saw damage in the same area I saw these today but have not seen any sign since. A couple of years ago a family member with adjoining property got a picture of one on a trail camera. Another family member has property across the road and he has problems for the last few years. The photo is bad but its from a 100 or so yards with a cell phone. I only got a photo of a few little ones but there three big ones and two midsized ones and a bunch of little ones.

I have been reading on trapping but have zero experience with trapping or for that matter dealing with hogs. Just wondering what others experience is dealing with hogs.

1B0326E9-2B4D-4D28-A2EF-DC28C3E3525D.jpeg

/ Wild hogs #2  
About the right range for an AR-15.

/ Wild hogs
About the right range for an AR-15.

Yep, but not for a 12 gauge with number 5 Winchester turkey load. It is a lethal combination for a long beard but not for pigs.

/ Wild hogs #4  
Yep, but not for a 12 gauge with number 5 Winchester turkey load. It is a lethal combination for a long beard but not for pigs.

No, the scattergun wouldn't have done any good.

/ Wild hogs #5  
I just finished putting a trap like the figure-c trap. The hogs did not find it last night, one raccoon did. I have the trap open till the hogs start using it. Should be soon as they find the corn usually right after I put it out in front of my trail cam.
How to Build a Figure-C Feral Hog Trap - YouTube
I would try to shot them but they are there mostly night and no special time.
I will let you know how it works.

/ Wild hogs
I just finished putting a trap like the figure-c trap. The hogs did not find it last night, one raccoon did. I have the trap open till the hogs start using it. Should be soon as they find the corn usually right after I put it out in front of my trail cam.
How to Build a Figure-C Feral Hog Trap - YouTube
I would try to shot them but they are there mostly night and no special time.
I will let you know how it works.

Please keep me posted. I hope to at least keep them somewhat in control.

/ Wild hogs #7  
If you are feeding anything with corn they will find it. My bout with them was because a neighbor had a deer feeder spewing corn out twice a day right below my property. I had a friend that traps them bring a homemade trap out and we captured a few but when the feeder stopped operating they moved on.

His trap was just some hog panels tie wrapped together with a hog panel on top. He had a couple pieces of narrow channel for the plywood gate. Just ran a rope off the top of the gate to the rear of the trap with a stick tied onto it. Drove a couple of stakes in the ground with screws to hook the stick on. Hogs would trip it rooting around in the corn.

20160906_100357.jpg

/ Wild hogs #8  
Nice job ! warm up the smoker...

/ Wild hogs #9  
I have hunted, killed, and eaten a fair number of them over the years and have come to the conclusion that unless you catch them live and and fatten them on corn before butchering they are just not worth it. A lot are wormy, dry meat, with an "off" flavor. I would much rather eat a real farm raised pig for the taste. This may sound cruel, but I think that buckshot is perfect for them. Lets them go somewhere else to die and if they don't die they have a very good reason not to come back to your place again.

/ Wild hogs
I have hunted, killed, and eaten a fair number of them over the years and have come to the conclusion that unless you catch them live and and fatten them on corn before butchering they are just not worth it. A lot are wormy, dry meat, with an "off" flavor. I would much rather eat a real farm raised pig for the taste. This may sound cruel, but I think that buckshot is perfect for them. Lets them go somewhere else to die and if they don't die they have a very good reason not to come back to your place again.

I no intention of eating them. I think we are going to build a trap. Any that we catch will have a fine resting spot in a deep gully on the back of the property.