Wild Turkeys

/ Wild Turkeys #11  
those are much bigger than the ones in our area.. The babies (??) are just the size of chickens around here

brian

/ Wild Turkeys
I usually see or hear them about once a week, and this morning I happened to be in my bedroom, when through my open window I heard that distinctive "cluck, cluck, cluck" sound which is similar to that which a chicken makes. I looked out the window and they were about 10 feet away so I grabbed the camera and quietly slipped out onto the back deck to try and get pictures of them.

We have vists from all kinds of critters like deer, rabbits, raccoons, squirrels, possums, turkeys, turkey vultures (they are huge), you name it and I've probably seen it. :)

/ Wild Turkeys #13  
Out back from house maybe 6 months ago. Osceola turkey one of four sought after by gran slam turkey hunters. Suppose to be only exclusive to Lake Okeechobee and south area of Fla peninsula.

Turkey Hunting - The Grand Slam! Sorry pic was from abit afar(Canon a-495 $100) :thumbsup:.

Boone

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 120
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    973.8 KB · Views: 116
   / Wild Turkeys #14  
Around 4 or 5 days ago, when I was driving up our driveway, a flock was picking the fescue seed that I put down last week over areas that I had once removed some stumps. The NC Caswell Game Lands are in our County. They are comprised of over 20,000 acres for hunting and fishing. More Turkeys are taken on the Caswell County Game Lands, than any other Game Lands in the State. There are sections of the Game Lands less than 2 miles from us. Sometimes during early morning areas, they are so numerous that, at times, you have to come to a complete stop in your truck because they are crossing the road from one side to the other. They just keep eating and blowing your horn doesn't help that much.

/ Wild Turkeys #15  
We had a family or two for a few years in our woodlot, they would come around the house and head back daily. The early pictures were June 9 2010 the second were taken July 4 2010 they grew quick. The past two years the foxes killed them we only had a chance to see them once before they were MIA.

Attachments

• DSC00930.JPG
    DSC00930.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00934.JPG
    DSC00934.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC01165.JPG
    DSC01165.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 98
   / Wild Turkeys #16  
We have been tossing scratch feed for the turkeys along the road to the back field. Getting a small collection- crows, chipmunk, jays, and ruffed grouse- along with the turkeys. They'll be around through the winter - minus the crows who will head south.

/ Wild Turkeys #17  
I feed them every winter. I've had as few as 4 and as many as 25 coming in.

My feeder is about a 100 feet from the house and I like watching them eat and chase each other around.

/ Wild Turkeys #18  
Do you feed them corn?

Turkeys in our area are just starting a comeback.

/ Wild Turkeys #19  
Hen with poults.

Attachments

• PICT0001.jpg
    PICT0001.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 87
   / Wild Turkeys #20  
Just outside of Hutchison, Kansas is a small developement with 50-60 homes. I had a meeting there a few years back, and one of the people I was meeting with told me to watch out for the turkeys. I didn't think much about it until I left, and sure enough, had probably 30-40 walk right in front of my car and stopped! Couldn't believe it-I ended up getting out of the car, and they finally got the hint and moved on. Wish I'd had a camera, or better yet, a permit and my shotgun!

The guy who told me to watch out for the turkeys pulled up behind me when I was still out of the car was laughing pretty hard at my reaction. I'd been trying to hunt turkeys and hadn't gotten near any, and here I was in a subdivision with the darn things within a few feet of me. Obviously, they were used to people.