Wildflower mix

/ Wildflower mix #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
Hi all,

I want to make a small area to grow wildflowers. I was wondering if anyone has had experience doing this. What prep needs to be done, where to get a quality mix ect?

Thanks
Dave

/ Wildflower mix
Thanks,

I just ordered some of their annual seed mix.

Dave

/ Wildflower mix #4  
I have seeded about 2/3 of an acre to wildflower in the past. The seeds are very light and vary in size. we ended up having to seed by hand. I wasn't happy using any of my seeders so we spread it by hand. We used a brilliant roller to roll the seeds in. It turned out great and the customer was happy.

/ Wildflower mix #5  
Very fortunate here. Two very large seed companies in the immediate vicinity. They mainly produce GMO agricultural product but also have "native seeds" as a sideline. Many and varied groupings can be purchased.

A couple things I've learned. The seed groupings ARE very specific to where you are going to put them. Cover the planted seed quickly - your wild "dickey birds" will soon find any exposed seeds.

I purchased and planted half an acre of "open dry land" seeds and almost killed( rotting, I think ) them all by watering. They needed to be planted, covered and lie there until the fall rains.

Follow the planting instructions - live and learn.

As far as preparation - I mowed everything right down to the dirt. Sprayed the entire area with a general purpose weed/grass killer. Waited two months and drug/scruffed up the area with my home made drag. Pulled this drag behind my ATV.View attachment 642571