will landplane.do a good job spreading blacktop millings? Driveway

/ will landplane.do a good job spreading blacktop millings? Driveway #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
would landplane do a good job leveling long driveway. Very long driveway . I have 24 truckloads millings. I'm thinking landplane. However, I'm considered getting a blacktop paving company to spread millings. I'm guessing Landplane would do just as good using loader to "fill" the plane as it goes. I never operated one though. would plane level and can it be adjusted? When leveled I've heard spraying with kerosene and rolling material would make a pretty good surface for driveway.

Any ideas???

you all have a Happy New Year. Great 2020 on the way......... Cheers...Coffeeman

/ will landplane.do a good job spreading blacktop millings? Driveway #2  
You would need to rough spread the millings first, then I think a LP would be fine to level it all out. The trick would be getting the base a consistent thickness before the LP gets on it. Last year I used about 10 yards of millings at the bottom of my asphalt driveway and then sprayed some diesel over it.. it packed down solid. It's also about 5-6" thick.

/ will landplane.do a good job spreading blacktop millings? Driveway #3  
Landplanes are for leveling out, not spreading. Maybe a boxblade?

/ will landplane.do a good job spreading blacktop millings? Driveway #4  
You'll have trouble if the milling have chunks. The chunks won't flow and spread. They'll be dragged forming furrows. Otherwise tailgate spread is fine with the LP for final smoothing.

/ will landplane.do a good job spreading blacktop millings? Driveway #5  
If you could get an asphalt company to spread them at a reasonable price I would consider that.
Are you getting the millings delivered in one big pile? If they can deliver them over time, the trucks can spread them on your driveway and you can even them out that way. I have had success using a landscape rake to clean the big chunks out and smooth them out.
A word of caution, if you get millings delivered and don't use them soon(especially during the summer) they get very hard. At that point will have to use a backhoe to break them up.

/ will landplane.do a good job spreading blacktop millings? Driveway #6  
Milling drive way, have them cut off 4" topsoil put cleaned millings in the hole have rolled out and oiled. Will be almost like real blacktop