Will loaded tires help with this?

/ Will loaded tires help with this? #1  

LS Tractor Owner

Tractor
LS XG3025 TLB, Previously MT125 TLB, Craftsman GTS6500
I have an LS XG3025, gear (12x12) 3 range. R4 tires. When I was 'digging' into a pile of 1" road base stone, all 4 tires were spinning (actually digging into the existing gravel drive). I was in low range, 1st or 2nd gear. Yes, I was able to get a full bucket load (66" bucket), but didn't like having to now repair the "potholes" I put in the drive all around the pile. The existing drive has 4" base rock, topped with 1-1 1/2" road base, then top dressed with about 1-2" of crusher fines. It has been in place for over 20 years and is packed like concrete (or so I thought).

Then I tried to load some dirt from a berm along the road (also a gravel road) which has larger stone base and no crusher fines. Did the same thing.... All 4 tires would spin. Granted, the dirt was more packed, so harder to dig into.

The weight of the tractor / loader is 3,022 and I had a 485 lb box blade on the rear. The rear tires are 16 / 43 - 20. I'm not sure if loading the tires would help with this "spinning" issue (not sure how much weight would be added).

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

/ Will loaded tires help with this? #2  
You still might spin a tire but it will be much better with loaded rears, iwas surprised when i finally loaded mine how much more traction i got when digging.

/ Will loaded tires help with this?
Thanks, I was thinking it would, but wasn't sure. I don't want to be "digging" bigger potholes..... Strange thing was while using the boxblade, was digging deep with the teeth all the way down and never lost traction. Seems it only happens when pushing forward with the loader.

/ Will loaded tires help with this? #4  
Last edited:
   / Will loaded tires help with this? #5  
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

I've been reading a bit on loader work and it may be a matter of technique. What I've been seeing is not to 'dig' from the bottom center of the pile, even looser material. The suggestion seems to be to cut into the pile higher up, near or above the center of the pile. It takes more to push in and lift due to the weight of material above the attack point. Also, try attacking the pile off center a bit, maybe 3/4 of a bucket width instead of full on.

For the berm, I would turn around and use the BH to dig into it and break it up into looser material, then go at it as above.

As others have said on other threads, R4s seem to be more for structural sidewall support of lifting and digging than for traction. To my unhappiness, I'm finding too many places where I lose traction even with them loaded. They don't squat under load, but they don't go for squat in mud either.

As far as the rear blade use, you're probably putting a whole lot more downforce to the ground by leverage than you ever could with loaded tires.

Consider adding a bucket toothbar so the bucket penetrates packed material with less resistance.

Piranha Toothbars are well reviewed on T-B-N.

VIDEO: tractor PIRANHA BUCKET TOOTH BAR - YouTube

VENDER: BXpanded Piranha Toothbar

Yes, I had a regular tooth bar on my little MT125 and it made a big difference. I have attempted to call and email BXpanded multiple, make that numerous times without a response and can't even get a price! EXCEPTIONALLY POOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT !!

I'll probably get another regular tooth bar from Neat Farms. Much better price and fast shipping.

I've been reading a bit on loader work and it may be a matter of technique. What I've been seeing is not to 'dig' from the bottom center of the pile, even looser material. The suggestion seems to be to cut into the pile higher up, near or above the center of the pile. It takes more to push in and lift due to the weight of material above the attack point. Also, try attacking the pile off center a bit, maybe 3/4 of a bucket width instead of full on.

For the berm, I would turn around and use the BH to dig into it and break it up into looser material, then go at it as above.

As others have said on other threads, R4s seem to be more for structural sidewall support of lifting and digging than for traction. To my unhappiness, I'm finding too many places where I lose traction even with them loaded. They don't squat under load, but they don't go for squat in mud either.

As far as the rear blade use, you're probably putting a whole lot more downforce to the ground by leverage than you ever could with loaded tires.

Yes, that was my 'sort of' fix. Take smaller bites and scrape up the side of the pile. Then come from another angle gathering the looser stuff. I was just surprised that I could basically do the same operation with the 125 and not break loose traction getting a full bucket! Part of the reason upsizing to the 3025 was for the bigger bucket. Seems I loose traction much easier with the bigger tractor....doesn't make sense... The 3025 almost weighs 40% more....

/ Will loaded tires help with this? #8  
My NH T1520 is lighter and has slightly smaller tires. (15x 19.5s) I've long used the Box Blade for cwt with this and previous comparable Ford 1520. The newer tractor has loaded tires, and when a tab I'd re-welded broke out on the BB I just kept going without it back there.

Since then I'm still grubbing saplings (1/2" -3") w/o the 3PH weight as though the BB was still hanging out there. I miss having the 5' wide implement just for it's weight, but I'm amazed at what I can lift with either grapple and nothing on the back just having the RimGuard advantage.

btw, I'm plotting a counterweight build & following threads. Trouble is, they're hard to ferret out without mentioning the meat of a topic in a thread's title. Assuming much because your in A or B forum only serves those following that particular one. Lack of topic in a title means a 'keyword' search will pass it by. Heh, somebody's going to find this thread easily because of a relevant title. :thumbsup:

(There are other 'polite' forums that will delete a thread for lack topic in it's title, and IMO it's vital to searching a topic. Google "I did it again" and see if that finds you a thread about mixing gas into diesel fuel, or forgetting to replace a drain plug.

/ Will loaded tires help with this? #9  
I attempted to call and email BXpanded multiple, make that numerous times without a response and can't even get a price! EXCEPTIONALLY POOR CUSTOMER SUPPORT !!

I'll probably get another regular tooth bar from Neat Farms. Much better price and fast shipping.

Sorry to hear you cannot raise Bxpanded.

Consider W.R. Long tooth bars. Long is quality.

W.R. Long, Inc. | Tooth Bar & Wear Blades

/ Will loaded tires help with this? #10  
Filled tires will definitely help there. So will coming into the pile from half way up, and scooping upwards and tilting backwards as you put the bucket into the pile.