Will some tractor makers not survive?

/ Will some tractor makers not survive? #71  
Funny, how Yanmar isn't on that chart.

My Dad and his Father hauled Lanz Bulldog tractors out of the now JD Manheim plant. I should scan the pictures some day.

/ Will some tractor makers not survive? #72  
Mid-south Ohio is the grain belt and big ag tractors are probably 85% Deere, 10% Case and balance AGCO or whatever. Under 100 HP down to 70 HP is mostly Deere and the 70HP and lower is a lot of Deere and a lot of Kubotas with Kubota gaining.

A small part of the grain belt. :)

/ Will some tractor makers not survive?
   / Will some tractor makers not survive? #74  
With regard to Mahindra, I do believe they are #3 in the USA and have been for a couple of years. But if I may compare this to a marathon, JD and Kubota cross the finish line and #3 Mahindra is trailing and is no where in sight. Some time later Mahindra crosses the line, well ahead of some significant competition and truly in 3rd, but not threatening the first and second place finishers. Even so, it is an accomplishment.

Worldwide, Mahindra is a giant in tractor manufacturing and sales. It helps that they have such a significant market share in India, which is a huge market.

As for Branson USA, they are profitable and have been for the last several years. Many of the minor brands are not, but are being propped up by a corporate parent hoping for future prosperity. They are a small player, but are adding products, making improvements in existing models and only a couple years ago opened a new west coast distribution center. They seem satisfied with a slow and steady growth. As for the TYM deal, they are so far being run as separate companies in the USA and that is what we expect to continue. Certainly it would make sense for TYM and Branson to share some product (at least the Cummins style Branson engine) in the future.

As to Neil at Messick's comment about whether Mahindra was taking market share from the minor brands or grabbing some from Kubota and JD, it is really hard to know. It's above my pay grade. They are gaining share, but I can't say from where.

Back to the original question, will some tractor makes not survive? It's anyone's guess. What we have seen more commonly is not tractor makers failing, but instead we see retail failures. For example, LS built a lot of the Montana line. Montana failed, but not LS. Century was a brand that was made by Branson (Kukje), Century failed, but Branson persisted. Scorpion was TYM, then we have Farmtrac...etc. It's not an easy thing to break into a market in the USA and to gain share. A lot of folks can build a good tractor. Bringing it to market successfully is another matter.

/ Will some tractor makers not survive? #75  
From reading this thread, it sounds like there is a lot of inbreeding in tractor manufacturing. One company makes another's engines. Tractors are made by one manufacturer, painted a different color and sold under another's label. Companies continually buy each other out or merge and then market their product with whatever name has the most marketing appeal. Seems like the whole question of who will survive is kind of rhetorical because nobody stays being who they are anyhow:).

/ Will some tractor makers not survive? #76  
From reading this thread, it sounds like there is a lot of inbreeding in tractor manufacturing. One company makes another's engines. Tractors are made by one manufacturer, painted a different color and sold under another's label. Companies continually buy each other out or merge and then market their product with whatever name has the most marketing appeal. Seems like the whole question of who will survive is kind of rhetorical because nobody stays being who they are anyhow:).

^^^ In a nutshell!:thumbsup:

/ Will some tractor makers not survive? #77  
You got it - tractor companies (meaning large ones in general) need to fill out their line to meet customer demand, but need to focus their resources on their most profitable, called their CORE, product so they outsource. Witness JD's Frontier line. If a product becomes profitable, a major will find a way to free up R&D money. JD moved product in house from Yanmar. I'd outsourced their skid steers to Mustang until it became profitable to design and build their own. But even with CORE product there are variables. Our 7720 JD is a large tractor built in Waterloo. Our 6320 is a utility designed and built in Germany and totally different tractors end to end except for paint. Then there are attachments. My nephew just bought a large Kubota. The tractor is still bright Kubota orange. The loader, however, is faded so much it appears to be from a different company.

/ Will some tractor makers not survive? #78  
Have saw that for years in regards to Kubota tractor wheels.... They fade MUCH faster than the rest of the tractor. :)

/ Will some tractor makers not survive? #79  
I've always thought Olivers were the prettier green tractor. Also, I miss seeing MM tractors

Some of the Oliver's had the 2 stroke Detroit's, I miss hearing them.

Attachments

• th-2.jpeg
    th-2.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 79
   / Will some tractor makers not survive? #80  
Last frontier is Africa. If it takes off it could be massive market for right tractors. My guess is Mahindra is best positioned due to the fact that Indian market is similar to future Africa market. I used to work in rural India (on pipeline construction). Mahindra is the tractor of choice there. The Indian models are, by US standard, very basic and simple tractors somewhere between 20 and 100 HP. I asked why Mahindra is so popular and I was told that it takes the abuse better than competition.