Will the CK20 power a log splitter??

/ Will the CK20 power a log splitter?? #11  
I've gotten into arguments on this site on this sort of topic before. I like you would not run my tractor for hours on end when I can get a $200 motor to do it and if it blows up, no worries. I'd rather rack up the hours on my tractor for tasks a cheap motor can't do, like digging, hauling and the like.

Joel

/ Will the CK20 power a log splitter?? #12  
200$! sheesh, the HF 5.5 HP honda clone engines can be had for 100$. They're great.

/ Will the CK20 power a log splitter?? #13  
True, True, I had a Tecumseh on my splitter -it was a hard starter- very hard starter- took it in and had a Honda put on for a couple of hundred bucks and no problems since. That engine starts after 6 months of sitting with one or two pulls.

/ Will the CK20 power a log splitter?? #14  
Check out the 2-way splitters from Northern Tool.
This 3-pt splitter splits in both directions, and needs 5 gpm.

I use it on my dk35se and it's plenty fast. I usually operate it with the DK slightly above idle, at around 1200 rpms.

If I rev it up to 2500 rpms or so, the splitter is VERY quick. Too fast in my opinion. Chances of an accident increase as well. So I keep it at 1200 rpms.

Oh, Northern has 2 3pt models. One that is a 3" splitter and does 19" logs, (the one I have) and a 4" one that does 25" logs, and requires a little more gpm.

/ Will the CK20 power a log splitter??
Thanks for the video natem, that unit seems to work quick enough for what I'd want....what is the cylinder size on that??? Looks like 1/2" hoses too.

/ Will the CK20 power a log splitter?? #17  
I've gotten into arguments on this site on this sort of topic before. I like you would not run my tractor for hours on end when I can get a $200 motor to do it and if it blows up, no worries. I'd rather rack up the hours on my tractor for tasks a cheap motor can't do, like digging, hauling and the like.

Joel

The hour meter on your tractor is (usually) based on PTO RPMs.

example:
10 actual hours @ PTO rpms (say 2600 rpms)will display 10 hrs on hour meter.
10 actual hours @ 1/2 PTO rpms (1300 rpms) will only show 5 hrs on hour meter.

I put about 8-10 hrs on my meter each season. (4 hrs per day, around 5 days splitting 3-4 cords of wood) For 25 years that adds 225 hours to my tractor. I don't see that as being an issue.

I usually run my 3pt splitter at 1100-1200 rpms.

/ Will the CK20 power a log splitter?? #19  
Whoa, that You Tube video looks mighty slow to me compared to a stand alone splitter.

/ Will the CK20 power a log splitter?? #20  
I use a 3 pt unit by Ramsplitter on my Jinma 284. The Jinma pump is 9-10 GPM and I added my own rear remotes. The splitter cylinder is 4" dia. It's fast enough me. I helped my neighbor split up a huge pile of wood and it was still fast enough with one person loading and another person running the splitter. We often had to stop as we were knee deep in wood. That's fast enough.

I like the Ramsplitter design. It fits sideways across the rear of the tractor but I can pivot it vertical to handle the big rounds.