Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors?

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #121  
for discreet carry I have a keltec .32acp in an ATF approved 'semi-wallet' holster, that prints the back pocket nice and square like a real 'wallet'

soundguy

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #122  
Pat My l3600 GST had 1550 hours when gave away because could not sell at a price I consdiered it worth. after the last repair sat down and added up the parts replaced cost with the hours used and it came to 50.00 hour. far excedding the worth of use.
Used mostly to clean dairy barns. move dirt with worn out front end loader.Very little tread left on tires from general farm usige.
I have used JD "B"s model 40 JD Farmall H and would go for months before repairing them not the this Kubota it was a weekly repair for something.
and sitting for the ordered parts to come by UPS always double billed first from Dallas to dealier then dealier to address. Will see how the JD4520 works so far 156 hours still dependable. ken

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #123  
Ken, That is a bummer, dude. I don't think that is the typical situatioin with Kubota tractors.

I was at the annual Noble Foundation cattle symposium and trade show all day Saturday and was handed a brochure for a medium sized JD tractor series (45..99 HP) They had 2wd, 4wd, open station or cab with heat and air, shuttle shift BUT NO HST. There were versions with removable loaders and others with non-parkable loaders. The advertising copy bragged about the rugged HD nature of the tractor but also said these tractors were good for "light" loader work.

There it was in print! Truth in advertising. Good for LIGHT loader work. Which JD tractors (under 100 HP) are advertised for HD loader work?

Pat

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #124  
I my opinion there is no light loader work moving dirt , rock and cutting grade. The tractors and loaders should be built stronger than the old ones . 4X4 adds alot more stress to the bushings and gears . I guess industrial tractors is the way to go .

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #125  
Pat I agree with you the tractor was to light built for what is needed to be done. But is advertised as for construction use.
The JD"B" was sold because the buyer was willing to pay a very inflated price.
The JD 40 T borrowed by neighbor and pulling box blade turning rolled a tire over a log and tipped over the tractor and I still miss my life long neighbor.
Could never get back on with out thinking of the accident. sold to get off farm.
L3600 Kubota replaced the "40" purchased with 400 hours looked good.wasn't.
JD4520 now doing the needed work so we will see if it holds to daily task of what is needed to be pushed pulled or lifted to be relocated.
Last fall was at Stillwater dairy cattle show. enjoyed the area. se'ya ken

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #126  
Ken said:
Pat I agree with you the tractor was to light built for what is needed to be done. But is advertised as for construction use. ken

I think the brochure I saw was for JD tractors numbered in the 5000 range (not totally confident in number.) I do recall the HP though. HP ranged from 45 to 99. All but the 99 had 3 cyl and the 99 was a 4. The brochure had pix of a woman operating it as well as a man in other pix. All pix were in a farm scene. It mentioned Ag work. I don't recall any mention of work other than ag.

FullPull, In many ways 4wd REDUCES stress on components. It splits the torque and HP, spreading it between the front and rear. It surely reduces stress on the rear wheel drive mechanisms right down to the tires except for the mistake of high speed in 4wd.

Of course the front wheel drive components have more stress that the front end of a rear wheel drive tractor but they are built for it. It isn't like they use the same components. Where 4wd gets a lot more stress is that users often work them harder because they are more capable and users have higher expectations for them.

One of the common (around here anyway) problems is that someone will find a (bargain?) tractor that is 2wd intended for row crops or the like that someone has installed a big loader on. The front spindles and other components were designed for the stress of steering the tractor and holding up the relatively light weight front end. Right away if the loader is used for anywhere near what it is capable the front end running gear is destroyed. The light weight axles, spindles, etc just can't take it. If it were 4wd it would have been designed for heavier front end loading. I have seen this sceanario several times.

Pat

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #127  
RobJ said:
Well this thread turned interesting...

I found out that if the AC goes out in a cab tractor it renders it useless.
Close to the same for 4wd.

:D :D

HaHa...If only it were true we spend 18hr days in 30degree temps with busted air cons...You fix em when you get time...Open a window and get dusty or you sweat your choice...?To be honest my newest combine has had no ac for 2 years ..Are we really getting that soft..??????

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #128  
   / Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #129  
D7E said:
HaHa...If only it were true we spend 18hr days in 30degree temps with busted air cons...You fix em when you get time...Open a window and get dusty or you sweat your choice...?To be honest my newest combine has had no ac for 2 years ..Are we really getting that soft..??????

You must be stronger farmers than us :)

No way I'm spending more than a few hours without AC :D

Most of the kit I drive (contractors) is pretty much new anyway so is all warrantied. Dealer fixes it for free.

/ Will "these" tractor outlast our parent's/grandparent's tractors? #130  
There are cases were if the AC packs it in the work will go on!:D :D

There was a time when there was no AC or cabs available for tractors and the the work also went on.:D :D