Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #1,012  
Coming from farmers and self employed I believe if a person believes they can do better they should throw their hat in the ring and roll up their sleeves.

I see so many immigrants make it with little more than an idea, determination and hard work where failing is not an option.

I'm glad for my union shop experience and nothing bad to say but I did have to catch up quickly... but it was not too bad.

Quitting time is quitting time... stay within your classification... respect seniority... etc.
God forbid you do someone else's job huh?

/ Will UAW Strike? #1,013  
A “good” union is not a threat to profitability. Yet, I have seen unions do stupid things.
YRC and the teamsters comes to mind instantly. The Teamsters somehow thought they were running YRC and then YRC closed their doors and 20,000 teamsters members lost their jobs. You have the same scenario unfolding with Fords, GM and Stellantis.

The UAW can 'dictate' all it wants to but in the end, the employer still has the upper hand. Like Kenny Rodgers sang... 'You gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em'.....

While I don't know what is transpiring with Stellantis or GM, I know Fords presented Fain with what they considered their 'best offer' an offer that still allowed them to be profitable for their stockholders and Fain blew them off. I don't see Fords sweeting that offer much if any at this point as they know full well what the break point is. Fain nor the UAW don't and from what I see, don't care either.

What I do see happening is Fords going into receivership and emerging at the other end as a non union company however and if that plays out, GM and Stellantis will follow suit.

Of course that leaves the UAW and it's members with nothing but an 'empty suit'. Conversely then, the auto makers can rehire the union workers as 'at will' employees and weed out the low hanging fruit that the union protected.

'Lean Manufacturing' does have it's advantages.

That may or may not be the end game in this. I'm only projecting.

/ Will UAW Strike? #1,014  
God forbid you do someone else's job huh?
Kind of but the shop steward was more of the reminding kind... never had a run in with management or on the shop floor where I worked...

The big project was Space Shuttle related and I was on the floor when Challenger exploded.

Within 10 days everything in progress was catalog... only assemblies 80% finished could we complete... in progress shop was paid for work done... some sent to scrap...

/ Will UAW Strike? #1,015  
The UAW builds more than just automobiles. They have over 600 local unions in north america with more than 400,000 active and nearly 600,000 retired members. They all pay union dues every month to cover expenses.

The CEO's at the big 3 are scratching out a bloated wage;

Barra at GM, $29 million
Farley at Ford, $21 million
Tavares at Stellantis, $24 million
IIRC, Barra's salary was $2.1 million, she got a bonus of $6.2 million for meeting metrics that were set by the board and another $14.6 Million in stock (which likely has a bunch of strings attached to be able to "cash in on") for meeting metrics.
That works out to $1 Million in stock options for every $1 Billion in company revenue.
So about the same ratio as a salesman getting a $1000 bonus from a company for making $1,000,000 in sales.
In GM's case, if you cut her pay from $30 Million to $0 and distributed it evenly it to all 167,000 GM employees, each employee would get a grand total of $179.64.

Many people believe they need a union. Most are Democrats and that fits their view of the world.

I worked for 46 years and never felt the need to be a union member. But that does not make me better…just different.

I spent most of those years in union plants. The companies I worked for treated both union and non-union employees fairly most of the time. Was that because of the union or good management? I do not know for sure.

A “good” union is not a threat to profitability. Yet, I have seen unions do stupid things. As in many aspects of life, mob mentality can cause people to act irrationally. That, to me, is the threat some unions inflict on their members and the companies they deal with.
There has been discussion of going union where I work, but when it was explained what would be lost as far as "extras" and flexibility there was no interest.
A local plant is unionized and (talking to those who work there) it seems that the union exists to protect the slugs and slowpokes who have no interest in working if they can get away with not working.
If unions would provide higher quality workers who were more productive and weed out the slugs they would actually be useful.

Aaron Z

/ Will UAW Strike? #1,016  
Why would gear shifting a manual transmission truck make a driver any worse than one driving an automatic?

9 out of 10 truck drivers are assigned to a company truck and have no choice.
An automatic transmission driver may be much better off safety wise for himself and the general public than a manual driver because he has one less thing to distract him from driving.

Manual transmissions are going the way of the dial-up telephone.

/ Will UAW Strike? #1,017  
Last week I was contacted by 4 different dealerships that still had a truck on the lot they originally quoted me in September. At the time each one indicated that prices would be going up during the strike as inventory got lower. Well, the opposite has happened. All 4 were offered to me anywhere from $1000 to $4000 less than before, without me asking.

Given the volume of calls I'm getting from almost every dealership I've visited over the last 3 months, I'd have to say sales are slower than before. The local dealers appear to be getting anxious for a sale.

This weekend I read an article about chinese investors divesting themselves of over $5 billion in US stock and securities over the last month, which is a huge external force driving markets down and negatively affecting fund balances. And another article spoke of multiple large banks that are reducing workforces and management by thousands of people due to reduced lending activities and the lack of prospects for increased demand. None of that sounded like an environment that an entire domestic industry should be headed into without doing the things that can make money. It's looking gloomy.

Michigan is a state where everyone knows people in the auto industry. So, basically everyone around me will know people that are hurt if resolution doesn't come soon. The only exceptions to that last statement may be 5030 and his BIL.

Last edited:
   / Will UAW Strike? #1,018  
On the Strike sure seems like the union leader is faring better than the people standing out in the cold.

Last edited:
   / Will UAW Strike? #1,020  
... I fond that interesting in as much as our vehicles have 'hands free' cell phone usage not that I do because when I'm driving. the cell phone is turned off anyway. Nothing that important far as I'm concerned.

You never know, somebody might be calling to get their deposit back from that truck. Better pick up.