Williston, ND Jobs?

/ Williston, ND Jobs? #1  

QRTRHRS

Elite Member
Tractor
None at this time.
Read an article yesterday claiming plenty of jobs due to drilling for oil using the fracking process in the Williston, ND area.

Article said truck drivers can make upward of 80k. I imagine the cost of living has risen in the area as well.

Anyway, the article got me thinking (uh oh'). I had hung up my "CDL hat" when I moved to KY in 08'. The idea of running the five boro's (NYC) of 30 some cents an hour just did not do much for me. So, I pulled another hat out of my box of tricks and have been doing QA work on aerospace componants.

I have kind of out grown the job (gotten bored) and I do not really get enough money for my signature on the parts that go out the door. Won't be too long until I can get on SS and a few years of some high dollar work will help the bank account towards that end.

Are there really some good opportunities up that way? Will things slow down over the winter or keep going?

/ Williston, ND Jobs? #3  
Just for a reference. I am working on a natural gas project in Western Australia in small town called Karratha. Just picked up a local paper some time back. There was an article about income and cost of living. Average income 200000 AUD, average rent 2760 AUD/week. Somebody told me that Karratha is currently the most expensive town in Australia.
Just Western Australia needs about 150 000 skilled workers (on top what is currently available) in next few years to man future gas, oil and mining projects. You want make serious money head to Australian embassy. They are giving 5 years work visas to selected professionals.
Starting pay of a young doctor in local hospital 1000 AUD/day.

/ Williston, ND Jobs? #4  
Read an article yesterday claiming plenty of jobs due to drilling for oil using the fracking process in the Williston, ND area.

Article said truck drivers can make upward of 80k. I imagine the cost of living has risen in the area as well.

Anyway, the article got me thinking (uh oh'). I had hung up my "CDL hat" when I moved to KY in 08'. The idea of running the five boro's (NYC) of 30 some cents an hour just did not do much for me. So, I pulled another hat out of my box of tricks and have been doing QA work on aerospace componants.

I have kind of out grown the job (gotten bored) and I do not really get enough money for my signature on the parts that go out the door. Won't be too long until I can get on SS and a few years of some high dollar work will help the bank account towards that end.

Are there really some good opportunities up that way? Will things slow down over the winter or keep going?

don't know exactly but I do know what goes up always comes down...

/ Williston, ND Jobs? #5  

I believe that's pretty accurate. The big problem is the lack of housing. Guy I work with is from there. People living in trailers parked at Walmart. Man camps. Outrageous rent if you can find a place. Williston can be pretty brutal in the winter. Lots of trucks running between Texas and ND hauling pipe. The ranch we buy our hay from sold his entire years crop (minus our 14 tons) to somebody in Texas. He is using the pipe trucks to backhaul the hay. 300+ truckloads.

Kim

/ Williston, ND Jobs? #6  
I have some friends working up there, and they were living in their trucks most of the time. Housing is not to be found. And if you do find it....watch out. The price will floor you. Im sure that this boom town is just like many of the others that have come and gone. As soon as all the holes are punched, the Govt will cap them siting environmental concerns, and keep buying foreign oil and keep these in reserve.

/ Williston, ND Jobs? #7  

I have heard as the others mentioned that the pay is high and living quarters tight.

Have a 35 year old working for me at the shop who worked the fields in Wyoming. Said on his best year he made 100K. According to him the hours were long, the work dangerous. He is now going back to school as a auto tech working for me part time.

I would think the best job out there would be the one your interested in, driving the big trucks. At least you are carrying your house on your back so to speak.

/ Williston, ND Jobs?
I believe that's pretty accurate. The big problem is the lack of housing. Guy I work with is from there. People living in trailers parked at Walmart. Man camps. Outrageous rent if you can find a place. Williston can be pretty brutal in the winter. Lots of trucks running between Texas and ND hauling pipe. The ranch we buy our hay from sold his entire years crop (minus our 14 tons) to somebody in Texas. He is using the pipe trucks to backhaul the hay. 300+ truckloads.

Kim
Yeah, I have read that housing is tight. Never had the pleasure of running ND to Texas but I can imagine that would make for a long winter? I have had the pleasure of New York and Ontario winters.

Thanks for the replies though. I need to do some more sluething, maybe talk to a head hunter or two.