Windmillin

/ Windmillin #1  

o2batsea

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45C 2005
After taking so much grief, I suppose I must show what I have been working on. Here is the progress as of yesterday. Total investment so far is about 11 million dollars, not including my own time. The frame is made from 1.5 inch fiberglass square tube and glued with West Sysytem epoxy and microfilament thickener. Axle is 1 inch solid fiberglass rod, Bearings are from Surplus Center and the rest is hardware store nuts and bolts, all stainless. What I didn't get pics of is my pole mount, which is so darn slick I just can't believe I thought it up myself. I would show you, but I'd have to kill you afterward.
I took the finished assembly outside for a test blow in about 20 MPH wind and it just took off at about 100 rpm. It was all I could do to get it stopped so I could bring it back inside the barn. Pleased ain't the half of it.
I have the air bellows in progress, but no pix so far. These are made from the rubberized fabric that the camouflage support poles came in, really tough stuff. I find it delicious irony that these bags, which I used to swear at when I used them professionally, are now being used for a "green" project that does not involve the wearing of BDU's or humping an M-16. Ahh, those days....
Anyway the thing is well on the way to completion and the next thing is to make the tower and plumb the air bellows to the hose and out to the air stones in the pond. Using standard issue garden hose for the air supply line as it is cheap and UV resistant. Hose will sit on top held afloat with hunks of pool noodle zip tied at scientifically determined intervals. The air stones will be anchored about 2 feet above the bottom with a good old treated 2x4 stake.

Attachments

• Windmill Wings.JPG
    Windmill Wings.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 258
  • Wing End Cap mark up.JPG
    Wing End Cap mark up.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 217
  • Windmill Struts Glue up.JPG
    Windmill Struts Glue up.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 228
  • Windmill Struts CL.JPG
    Windmill Struts CL.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Windmill Rotor strut Bolt up.JPG
    Windmill Rotor strut Bolt up.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 201
  • Windmill Rotor with axle.JPG
    Windmill Rotor with axle.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 251
  • Windmill rotor glue up.JPG
    Windmill rotor glue up.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 193
  • Windmill Frame Layout.JPG
    Windmill Frame Layout.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 209
  • Windmill Frame glue up.JPG
    Windmill Frame glue up.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 165
  • Windmill Frame Glue up 2.JPG
    Windmill Frame Glue up 2.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 195
  • Windmill final assembly.JPG
    Windmill final assembly.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 199
  • Windmill Arm clamp detail.JPG
    Windmill Arm clamp detail.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 163
  • Windmill Drive Arm Detail 2.JPG
    Windmill Drive Arm Detail 2.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 182
  • Windmill arm test fit.JPG
    Windmill arm test fit.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 197
   / Windmillin #2  
Do you have pictures of the $10,999,800.00 ???? Not to be crass but it doesn't look like much for the money ???

/ Windmillin #3  
Hokey smokes, Rocky! Is that a Darius turbine that you're building? Sounds as though you aim to aerate your pond without connecting to the grid? That's just nuts - but in a good way. Please keep us informed as the samoleons smolder.
-Jim

/ Windmillin
Lenz2 turbine.

/ Windmillin #5  
TMI. Now I have to go off and fritter away even more time reading about all these ways to spin a load. Fascinating.