Windows 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Windows 11 #141  
I'm not ready to make a call on future OSs if mainstream popularity equates to quality or value. Chrome may be a/the top browser but who tracks you more?

btw, if using Duck Duck Go as a search engine but without adding the DDC extension to your browser you're still being tracked. Thanks, Google Analytics.

/ Windows 11 #142  
20+ years later, still waiting for a working scrolling speed adjustment in Xorg/Wayland in Linux based distros... The most basic feature. The push to libinput in Debian and other major distro ruined it again for Plasma. (KDE was fine with evdev)
Running Windows software in a VM is riddled with vGPU compatibility bugs.

/ Windows 11 #143  
Soon advances in computing will make much of the talk of desktop OSs largely irrelevant anyway.
Not quite sure what you mean by that, but please tell me it isn't migration to touchscreen "mobile devices". Ugh.

/ Windows 11 #144  
"Not quite sure what you mean by that, but please tell me it isn't migration to touchscreen "mobile devices". Ugh."
Yes it is. And away from you owning your anything. Its all free, right? Well, it isn't free. You sell off what you do and what you buy. And you get tracked, in to a personal file: This becomes you in the weird ways the algorithm sets you up. Sells your stuff, you would rarely be interested in, but you don't get to change that, cause the algorithm still has you, and owns you, and you don't get to change that.
And we need laws to control this stuff. And we need law that stops VOIP from coming into a the telephony network with out verification. If your congress person doesn't understand this, you need to vote them out.
Our entire telephone system is at risk from an over load; which could shut the systems we have now, down... Very easily done, by calling all the numbers at once to shut down the whole system.

Our phone companies are not addressing this. And that is why you keep getting that call about a Car Warranty.

The rules set up by the FCC. Those rules need to be changed. I'm so pissed off at Century Link at this point, cause they say they have to let these bull **** calls come to me, by a law. They are following that which commits them to have to let the VIOP though with out verification of a back number. This is solvable. We just don't have the political will to do it.

Last edited:
   / Windows 11 #145  
... we need law that stops VOIP from coming into a the telephony network with out verification. If your congress person doesn't understand this, you need to vote them out.
... have to let the VIOP though with out verification of a back number. This is solvable. We just don't have the political will to do it.
This and many other problems will continue until people realize they are electing people to office who are working for the interest of the corporation that funded their campaign. And are working against the people who elected them.

/ Windows 11 #146  
Businesses have to protect itself in many ways, external threats, internal threats and disasters. Lock down is a must...my last organization was locked down so much that to work on a server or server issue you had to have a valid trouble ticket. then you logged into a vault app using a token app and valid cert. Once you are approved you use the vault to remote into the server with the valid tokens and password that is only good for up to 7 hours. Once you logged everything you do is recorded :)

No more super users or root admin gods! That is if your origination is up to date on security...if not god help you-especially with ransomware on the rise.

People at home need to be aware and as a minimum use two step security....We are ALL being watched. Always remember your conversions on your phones are being recorded and monitored for keywords by software bots. Its not just your computer..Even our TV is watching us lol.
Most of us need not worry about being “watched”. Our daily activities are too mundane for anyone to care.

/ Windows 11 #147  
Most of us need not worry about being “watched”. Our daily activities are too mundane for anyone to care.
That is if the data collected is done with highly secure systems, which is not usually the case even with triple A companies. e.g to be not accessible by darknet (leak), government (matters where you live), or your next neighbor.

Last edited:
   / Windows 11 #148  
I wish ...even the most mundane of individuals is still a potential customer (for someone) - which gives a whole lot of incentive to data conglomerator to listen and gather as much data as possible. Data which they then turn around and sell to whoever is willing to pay.

I didn't realize just how bad it was until I got married (within the last year) and my wife happend to have a Facebook app (which is only one of the known offenders) on her phone and we started getting advertisements tied to purely verbal discussions we had that involved no emails, no texts, and no online searches.

Slowed down a bit after she removed that app from her phone (she was hardly ever even using it), but it hasn't entirely stopped. I would wager the only reason we figured it out was because we don't have any other "smart devices" in the house beyond tablets and computers - and some of the conversations we had were in vehicles (which narrowed the potential eavesdropping devices down even further).

So really even if they don't care about you, they do care about your wallet/money because they want (at least a piece of) it. ..and there's really not much you can do to stop them from turning your property into listening or data collection devices for them -- and if they happen to include changes to device behavior as a part of "security updates" .....

Status
Not open for further replies.