windshield fluid to load tires

/ windshield fluid to load tires #1  

citytransplant

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 270DTC
Talked to a dealer yesterday that said he generally uses windshield washer fluid to fill rear tires. He does install a tube first. What are the pros and cons of using windshield washer fluid? I searched previous links (including but not limited to those below) however most were somewhat outdated. It was mentioned that using windshield fluid is (was) relatively new and not enough time had elapsed (at that time) for problems to emerge. Thanks in advance.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19855&page=5&highlight=winshield+washer
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8602&page=3&highlight=loading+tires

/ windshield fluid to load tires #2  
Loaded my rears with windshield washer fluid. ( No tubes).
Working fine.. No Cons that I have noticed so far..

/ windshield fluid to load tires #3  
Just make sure that the ww fliud that you use this time of year is thw WINTER formula-- good to -25F-- not the SUMMER formula, which is just a cleaning fluid, without freeze protection. Don. Don't ask how I know thw Difference!!

/ windshield fluid to load tires #4  
Pros:
Won't corrode your rims if you get a leak (as calcium chloride would).
Fairly cheap, especially if you get it on sale and fill the tires yourself.
I don't think it's as destructive to vegetation as CaCl
Cons:
More expensive then CaCl
Not as much weight as CaCl

I have windshield washer fluid in my 790's tires. It was added by the original owner of this tractor. However, if I bought new, it would still be my choice for ballast.

/ windshield fluid to load tires #5  
I put Windshield Fluid in my TC21D very soon after I bought it. I own it for about 5 years and I have not seen a problem at all with it. I got my cousin who happens to run a tire service truck to help me and the total job cost was about $40 I believe.

/ windshield fluid to load tires #6  
One difficulty is that your tires will be come clear and transparent.

Mike

/ windshield fluid to load tires #7  
Put ww fluid in mine about 3 yrs ago and it's working super. Picked them up from Wally-World in the summer. The low temp stuff was on sale at $0.69/G! Good time to purchase the winter stuff! Went through the Calcium Chloride. Had that in the garden tractor for about 15 yrs. Tubes were installed at that time. The tires dry-rotted, and when the sidewall gave way, the salt spray corroded EVERYTHING! The worst was on the grass. Although I had good service from it, I'd never do that again. BTW, there's a great tool from NAPA that helps in loading the tire. Screws onto the valve stem and allow's you to burp the air while filling.

/ windshield fluid to load tires #8  
I did the RV Antifreeze fill in tubes because I had winter WW fluid freeze up in my car before but never had a problem with the cabin plumbing after winterizing with RV antifreeze. Neither are terribly expensive, but I felt the added cold protection and cost was worth it in our area. FEL and side hill work is much more stable, and the ride is noticably smoother -less jouncy- too. Even though a large portion of my hours are from mowing, I don't feel the added weight has caused any serious lawn problems and remain pleased with my decision to do it.

/ windshield fluid to load tires #9  
So how many gallons of fluid are you all putting in each tire. Assuming you have a FWA as well.