Winshield for JD Gator

/ Winshield for JD Gator #1  

MF283

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5303 JD 920M JD825I XUV Gator
I was looking on ebay for the plastic type windshields for the Gator, i don't want a solid one, just something to get through the winter months.
Has anyone ordered one or know of a good source for these?

Thanks
Ronnie

/ Winshield for JD Gator #2  
If you don't mind an hours worth of work, it's very easy to make one with a piece of clear plastic and some cheap pipe clamps. Not nearly as pretty as the ones you buy, but about 1/3 the price. Go off and on easy too.

OD_Pipe_Clamp.jpg

Last edited:
   / Winshield for JD Gator #3  
That heavy-duty clear cling film for wrapping pallets apparently works pretty good too, although I've never tried it. My wife has seen it done on golf carts at other horse farms she's been to.

I have a Gator XUV that needs a windscreen but I don't really want to spend $700 CDN for a Lexan one which is what the dealer wants. I am debating whether to do the same as MMagis suggests and get a sheet of plexiglas and some p-clamps and make one.

You would probably need to heat up the bottom edge of the plexi and curl a lip into it to give some rigidity, otherwise it will vibrate bad.

/ Winshield for JD Gator #5  
That's a good idea. Could also attach a piece of aluminum channel or something along the bottom and/or the top edge. Though mine doesn't vibrate at all, it probably depends on the size and thickness.

/ Winshield for JD Gator
I looked at Lowes the other day, the only thing they had big enough was only 1/8" thick, figured that would be a little flimsy.
I'm not willing to pay JD's price being i only want it during winter month's. I've seen some roll up on Ebay that velcro around the bars, not specific for JD though.
No hurry on my part, i'll find some cheap way to do it, thought about the cling wrap thingy to.

Ronnie

/ Winshield for JD Gator #7  
If you don't mind an hours worth of work, it's very easy to make one with a piece of clear plastic and some cheap pipe clamps. Not nearly as pretty as the ones you buy, but about 1/3 the price. Go off and on easy too.

View attachment 455258

Yep, that would work. Go get yourself some clear lexan sheet, something like 1/8" - 1/4" thick, and use the clamps to install. I never thought of doing that, but it would work. Good post!

/ Winshield for JD Gator #8  
I'd stay away from the vinyl etc...neighbor bought a cab for his Mule and the vinyl windshield lasted one day--The distortion was unbearable. he made a plastic one with Lowes sheet goods. Looks nice and it's clear....Just have to be careful of scratching it..Some wax should help that some.

/ Winshield for JD Gator #9  
I used 1/4" Lexan on the 550 Mule I used to have: HPIM1088 - Copy.JPG When I bought the '07 "TS" Gator, it had a partial aftermarket windshield on it, I added Lexan to extend the top with aluminum double channel for strength: HPIM1205 - Copy.JPG

/ Winshield for JD Gator #10  
I looked at Lowes the other day, the only thing they had big enough was only 1/8" thick, figured that would be a little flimsy.
I'm not willing to pay JD's price being i only want it during winter month's. I've seen some roll up on Ebay that velcro around the bars, not specific for JD though.
No hurry on my part, i'll find some cheap way to do it, thought about the cling wrap thingy to.

Ronnie

It’s been a while, but I think mines no thicker than .150”. It’s worked quite well, plenty thick enough. If you’re able to get clamps all around it, I think .125” would be okay.