Winter hat suggestions?

/ Winter hat suggestions? #1  

petebert

Silver Member
Tractor
It's that time of year again. Michigan winters are no joke, I have animals and have to go to the barn 365 days out of the year. I'm looking for suggestions for something to keep my face and head protected. Not trying to put on a fashion show, going for pure utility here. I own a balaclava style hat, you can fold it up and wear it like a ski hat or pull it down and have a face covering. Problem is I have glasses and if I cover my nose, steam pushes back up onto my glasses. It works okay if I pull it down under my nose. I also have a storm kromer rancher cap, that style covers your neck some. It doesn't cover your face at all and sometimes the neck protection is a little lacking. Other options I'm considering is a Czech surplus Ushanka or a modern Ushanka, there's some on amazon that have a face covering flap.

/ Winter hat suggestions? #2  
10690047_10204057401774855_2297798529897701228_n.jpg

My typical for MN unless it is windy in which case I also wear goggles.

/ Winter hat suggestions? #3  
One of these, actually made for cold weather, not a look-alike.

mad bomber hat - Google Search

A good insulated parka, with a long-forward hood is good, too.

If wind on the face is a major problem, look at a snowmobile helmet.

Bruce

/ Winter hat suggestions? #4  
It's that time of year again. Michigan winters are no joke, I have animals and have to go to the barn 365 days out of the year. I'm looking for suggestions for something to keep my face and head protected. Not trying to put on a fashion show, going for pure utility here. I own a balaclava style hat, you can fold it up and wear it like a ski hat or pull it down and have a face covering. Problem is I have glasses and if I cover my nose, steam pushes back up onto my glasses. It works okay if I pull it down under my nose. I also have a storm kromer rancher cap, that style covers your neck some. It doesn't cover your face at all and sometimes the neck protection is a little lacking. Other options I'm considering is a Czech surplus Ushanka or a modern Ushanka, there's some on amazon that have a face covering flap.

Most of the time, I just wear a knit stocking cap and a Carhart jacket with a hood. Sometimes I'll wear a hoody sweatshirt under the carhart if it gets really cold. The hoody is big and loose and blocks most of the wind, and the Carhart hood keeps it in place. So I don't need a balaclava most of the time. However, I wear one when if it gets windy, or down below about 10F.

/ Winter hat suggestions? #7  
   / Winter hat suggestions? #8  
OK, here is a test of your knowledge of the international world.

Ever hear of a "Toque"?
Never heard of that term till I lived in Alberta. As far as I could tell, it was any kind of knit cap that is worn in winter whether it is just a hat or a full face ski mask.
What I found to be best for winter is Alberta was a toque on the head and a duck down jacket with a hood. For those -40 C days, add a wool scarf that you can wrap around your nose and mouth and you are good to go for quick forays out and about. For extended duty (like ice fishing) a full face mask, a scarf around the neck and the duck down jacket with hood was all I needed even if the wind was blowing 20 MPH. I still have that winter wear but seldom need it now other than the toques that I still use.

/ Winter hat suggestions? #9  
Never heard of that term till I lived in Alberta. As far as I could tell, it was any kind of knit cap that is worn in winter whether it is just a hat or a full face ski mask.
What I found to be best for winter is Alberta was a toque on the head and a duck down jacket with a hood. For those -40 C days, add a wool scarf that you can wrap around your nose and mouth and you are good to go for quick forays out and about. For extended duty (like ice fishing) a full face mask, a scarf around the neck and the duck down jacket with hood was all I needed even if the wind was blowing 20 MPH. I still have that winter wear but seldom need it now other than the toques that I still use.

In Ohio the generic term is Toboggan.