Winterizing sprayer - RV antifreeze in lines ok?

/ Winterizing sprayer - RV antifreeze in lines ok? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
I drained my sprayers and then poured pink RV antifreeze into the tank and then pumped it through the spray lines and pump. I can see the pink antifreeze sitting in the clear plastic lines. Those lines are not easy to remove. Is it okay to leave the antifreeze in there or should I pull the lines and drain it? I know the pink rv antifreeze will freeze but supposedly doesn't expand. Its a $6,000.00 sprayer.

/ Winterizing sprayer - RV antifreeze in lines ok? #2  
Why not contact the manufacturer and ask? I use that in my sprayer but mine is a $200 backpack type that I store in a unheated building during the winter.

/ Winterizing sprayer - RV antifreeze in lines ok?
I thought of that too but its made in Brazil. I did read the manual on winterizing but it wasn't much help. Was curious what everyone else does.

/ Winterizing sprayer - RV antifreeze in lines ok? #4  
I use RV antifreeze in my sprayer, too, but as mentioned, mine's under $200, not $6000! Find an owner's manual of contact the manufacturer would be best.

/ Winterizing sprayer - RV antifreeze in lines ok? #5  
I used vegetable oil.

/ Winterizing sprayer - RV antifreeze in lines ok? #6  
My boss uses it in his hundred thousand dollar plus JD self propelled unit so my guess you should be ok - Wisconsin gets below 0

/ Winterizing sprayer - RV antifreeze in lines ok? #7  
I lift my pto pump up so it can drain down into the tank and then I remove the filter and drain the tank. After that I leave the lid off for a few days so things can evaporate and then I dump in a gallon of RV A/F. Nothing seems to stay in my lines but they're rubber anyway. It's worked for 20 years.

Almost the same with smaller sprayer and electric pump. I lift the lines to drain them, drain the tank, let it evaporate and then dump some RV A/F in. No probs in ten years of that.

/ Winterizing sprayer - RV antifreeze in lines ok? #8  
Why not use the high strength blue windshield washer fluid that is rated for -20deg below zero?

/ Winterizing sprayer - RV antifreeze in lines ok?
Why not use the high strength blue windshield washer fluid that is rated for -20deg below zero?

Last winter it got to -35F below. :)