Winterizing Travel Trailer

/ Winterizing Travel Trailer #1  

NewToy

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05 Farmtrac 270DTC
I have a 35' travel trailer that I usually take down to Florida for the winter. We decided to spend the Holidays here in Ohio this winter and was wondering if anyone knew the procedure to winterize a travel trailer. I have purchased 3 gallons of the RV winterizer, how much does the job usually take? I appreciate the info.

John

/ Winterizing Travel Trailer #2  
All depends. Does your trailer have the hot water bypass? If so, drain your water storage tank and water heater. Put 2 gallons in your water tank, and use your 12v pump to run glycol to your faucets and toilet. Using the bypass, you don't have to fill your water heater to get it out your hot water faucets. If you don't have a bypass, you'll probably need to put 6 or 7 gallons in. Make sure to hit all your drains too. And be sure to get some through your toilet valve. They are fragile and a little moisture will crack them. If you don't have a bypass, it can be done with less if you have an air compressor, air hose adapter and a hand pump, but if you haven't done it before, this is the safest way.
By the way, TSC has a good price on the antifreeze, $3.28/gallon.

/ Winterizing Travel Trailer #3  
Tom covered the topic very well; just be sure you actually drain the water heater. I've seen some who opened the drain valve, thought they had it drained, but did not open the relief valve at the top to let air in and did not get all the water out. And being in the RV repair business, my two brothers have replaced lots of water heaters that burst from freezing.

/ Winterizing Travel Trailer #4  
I found this a couple of years ago and have been following it without any problems. winterize . Got the antifreeze at Walmart for $2.50 a gallon last week.

/ Winterizing Travel Trailer #5  
Thanks Birdman,
I printed that page to put in my 5th wheel. Its a good check list for next years storage. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Ernie

/ Winterizing Travel Trailer
Thanks fella's. I got her done today. It's supposed to get down in tje 20's here this evening. Brrr!

John