Wire mesh or Rebar or both?

/ Wire mesh or Rebar or both? #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
I am putting in my driveway.

6" concrete, 6" gravel fill underneath.

Should I use rebar on 18" centers? 1/2" or 3/8"?

Should I just use mesh / wire?

I am thinking Rebar around the perimter, then maybe a couple down the center to give me good places to tie the mesh too, then mesh over the whole kit and caboodle...

Yes, I realize it is probably overkill, and yes, I know they pour 3.5" pads straight on the ground, but I would rather this be here after I am long gone, then for me to be cussing it while I am trying to work on it.

So mesh vs. rebar, what is the deciding factor?

/ Wire mesh or Rebar or both? #2  
Forget the wire mesh, most of it usually ends up on the ground no mater careful you are. I think re-bar 18" on center is a little to much for a driveway. Four foot would be plenty strong. I think I would put down 1/2" parallel to the drive near the edge and one down the middle and then 3/8" diagonally every 4 foot.

/ Wire mesh or Rebar or both? #3  
A good foundation and proper "slump" concrete (5" is good) are your two most important factors. I would put in a rebar permeter to hold the driveway in place when it cracks (I said when not if). Then either make your joint lines when it's hard enough or saw them early the next morning. Fibermesh is a good product to reduceng the cracks and the joint being in place will help the concrete decide where to crack. Also use plastic underneath the concrete and keep the surface wet the first 3 days or so. If the top and bottom of the concrete cure in sync the cracking is minimized.

/ Wire mesh or Rebar or both? #4  
Forget using either rebar or mesh. Have fibermesh added to you concrete & saw cut joints in the drive way the day after you pour it.

/ Wire mesh or Rebar or both? #5  
AlanB said:
I am putting in my driveway.

6" concrete, 6" gravel fill underneath.

Should I use rebar on 18" centers? 1/2" or 3/8"?

Should I just use mesh / wire?

I am thinking Rebar around the perimter, then maybe a couple down the center to give me good places to tie the mesh too, then mesh over the whole kit and caboodle...

Yes, I realize it is probably overkill, and yes, I know they pour 3.5" pads straight on the ground, but I would rather this be here after I am long gone, then for me to be cussing it while I am trying to work on it.

So mesh vs. rebar, what is the deciding factor?

I think it was This Old House that recently discussed this and why you use wire mesh instead of rebar for driveways and patios. A good concrete company never lets the mesh stay at the bottom. I can't say the fiber concrete made a huge difference but then if the ground was never really well prepared or the concrete poured to wet, that could explain why.

/ Wire mesh or Rebar or both? #6  
For the skirts of the barn and the floor in the hay storage I used old no climb fence instead of mesh. With the load it sees it is plenty IMHO.