Wire Size For A 60 Amp Breaker ,.According To The NEC ??

/ Wire Size For A 60 Amp Breaker ,.According To The NEC ?? #41  
They put additional fuses in Xmas tree lights now with tiny wires, they used to draw more but also had larger wires for fault, there was no fuse on them. In the case of the AC unit as was mentioned by others must read the tag and use the breaker on the label and ideally the correct wire size. What they are essentially doint is leaving it up to the installer to provide the cord and plug,,, so to speak that would be provided on a welding machine.
The reason for the breaker size correct is that the rest of the machine is designed to be connected to a current limited circuit for fault protection. This is why we simply dont hook all the 220 stuff to 100A service, could if a heavier cord was used and additional breakers. Some equipment wired that way and a service is essentially that. Lots of service entrance based on calcs/

Last edited:
   / Wire Size For A 60 Amp Breaker ,.According To The NEC ?? #42  
Can put 6 spaces main lug panels to the meter base.

/ Wire Size For A 60 Amp Breaker ,.According To The NEC ?? #43  
I have worked in residential hvac for the past 20 years and have never seen anyone put a 10 wire on a 60 amp breaker. Many people mistake a 60 amp disconnect for a breaker, so make sure you are hooked up to a 60 amp breaker.

Your heat strips would be 10kw to call for a 60 amp breaker. They draw 40 amps when on, and no a 10 wire cannot safely handle 40 amps running through it.

Take a picture of the heat strips and I can tell you what size they are.

10 wire is used on a 30 amp circuit for 5kw heat strips

/ Wire Size For A 60 Amp Breaker ,.According To The NEC ?? #44  
Of course that’s probably not relevant seeing as how this thread is 2 years old

/ Wire Size For A 60 Amp Breaker ,.According To The NEC ?? #45  
welders are different from almost every other device. even if its a rated 50 amp ark welder, it probibly only draws 20 amp running. maybe 40 to spark an ark. thats why they can use #10 on a 50 amp dedicated welding circuit IN INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL buildings only....but I personally have never done so even when working as a union industrial electrician. not so in residential. anything can and will eventually be plugged into that residential welder outlet over the years. a 60 amp breaker REQUIRES wire rated for 60 amps. not a #10. if i wired #10 to a residential 60 amp breaker id be responsible for the resulting fire.

by the way. nearly 40 years as commercial, residential and industrial electrician and electrical contractor.

/ Wire Size For A 60 Amp Breaker ,.According To The NEC ?? #46  
A 10 cable is not rated for use on 60 but legal for a welder wire at 50. I would be glad to read the code where it specs the difference between industrial and residential. These welder circuits are code legal and been installed by masters for decades.

/ Wire Size For A 60 Amp Breaker ,.According To The NEC ?? #47  
I been doinjg this a while too,,, I dont believe I ever hear of a case of welder wiring burning the place down,,,, lots of other stuff but not that. I be glad to read the code sectioin says you got to do anything in case some dumb azz wires a hot tub to the welder outlet.

/ Wire Size For A 60 Amp Breaker ,.According To The NEC ?? #48  
Breaker only there for short circuit protection??? To protect the wire from melting an causing a fire no?

Hell a 50a breaker would protect 12ga wire if all it was doing was protecting for short circuit.

So let's say someone plugs in a microwave and coffee-pot with burner on their 14ga/15a circuit?

Load tried to draw 25-30a. Wire gets hot....insulation melts, fire starts.

But wait.....we protected that wire with a 15a breaker.....do we trip a breaker and don't start a fire.

Oh....hold on.....that's not why we use breakers....I forgot

/ Wire Size For A 60 Amp Breaker ,.According To The NEC ?? #49  
Breaker only there for short circuit protection??? To protect the wire from melting an causing a fire no?

Hell a 50a breaker would protect 12ga wire if all it was doing was protecting for short circuit.

So let's say someone plugs in a microwave and coffee-pot with burner on their 14ga/15a circuit?

Load tried to draw 25-30a. Wire gets hot....insulation melts, fire starts.

But wait.....we protected that wire with a 15a breaker.....do we trip a breaker and don't start a fire.

Oh....hold on.....that's not why we use breakers....I forgot
I know…. I know.

/ Wire Size For A 60 Amp Breaker ,.According To The NEC ?? #50  
I been doinjg this a while too,,, I dont believe I ever hear of a case of welder wiring burning the place down,,,, lots of other stuff but not that. I be glad to read the code sectioin says you got to do anything in case some dumb azz wires a hot tub to the welder outlet.
You and your WELDER are about to get me sick.
Your welder was done in some commercial location.
I worked industrial electrical for several years as a Journeyman and I knew a few hundred others and I can't think of a single one that would have landed a #10 wire on a 50 or 60 Amp breaker. I don't give a darn what it was feeding I would have refused as would most electricians.
Yes, the Code does have an exception for welders it is a fairly narrow one.
Also I have never seen an Inspector for a residential or commercial that would have accepted that, none.
Industrial is not over seen by local inspectors in most of the country. I know of nowhere that inspectors inspect Industrial electrical.