wireless hotspot

/ wireless hotspot #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
We're dumping our phone company, getting smart phones and connecting to the internet with a wireless hotspot. Verizon has sold us a mobile hotspot gadget which works well, faster download than our DSL, but it is battery operated. That's OK for my wife with her laptop and tablet, but I use a desktop and don't go anywhere & if she takes the device with her, I'm sitting at home with no internet.

I want one that stays at home and works on AC so we don't have to worry about the battery going dead.

BTW, total cost per month is about the same as we pay for landline, DSL and cell phones.

So, are there any wireless devices that are NOT mobile, run on AC power and do you have any recommendations--brand, model?

Thanks

/ wireless hotspot #3  
Wireless High Speed Internet Service Provider - Clearwire

Maybe not quite what your looking for cause it is portable/battery powered but comes with a AC charger that you could just leave it plugged in I guess.

Been a customer for about 6 months and have zero complaints. 34.99 @ month.

His Verizon hotspot jet-pack will do the same thing.

I leave mine plugged in, even considering I work on the road, I just use free wifi and leave the jetpack at home.

/ wireless hotspot
The Verizon Jetpack is what we have, but the Verizon sales folks say it will greatly shorten the battery life to leave it plugged in and the batteries are spendy--almost what the Jetpack cost.

/ wireless hotspot #5  
I have the jetpack as well. I leave it plugged in all the time but it never leaves the house. I use a company called Millenicom for my service. It's just data and uses the Verizon towers but I get twice the data per month (20gb for $69.95) with no contract. That allowed me to drop the data on my smart phone to 4gb (it's actually 2gb but I signed up during a promotion and got twice the data). Verizon has 4g service all around my house even though I'm in the middle of nowhere so the speed is fast. If I need to use my laptop on the road I have a free app on my android phone that allows it to act like a wireless router.

Usually eBay is a good place to look for replacement batteries. I have the 4620LE. I think it's a little new so I'm not sure what's out there but I'm sure you'll be able to get them soon.

/ wireless hotspot #6  
There is a device that creates an at home wireless network from 3G/4G cell signals. It was called Bluewire, or something along those lines.

/ wireless hotspot #8  
I don't understand why you don't just make her (or both of your) smartphone(s) mobile hotspot. I have the a Verizon 4G Jetpack but I also have my smartphone set up so I can use it as a hotspot. It's only $15 extra a month. Good thing is, my smartphone is grandfathered so I have unlimited data on it.

/ wireless hotspot #9  
So, are there any wireless devices that are NOT mobile, run on AC power and do you have any recommendations--brand, model?

Thanks

Have you looked at the Verizon HomeFusion service?

HomeFusion

/ wireless hotspot #10  
I could be wrong but........Edited;

I was.

Last edited: