Wiring question - IH 684

/ Wiring question - IH 684 #1  

rlneal

Tractor
IH 684
I have an IH 684 diesel and had a small electrical problem the other day. The battery cable connects to the starter (solenoid?). There are two other somewhat heavy gauge wires (probably 12 gauge) that connect from that terminal back up the dash area or somewhere. And there is a smaller wire in that harness that connects to a small terminal. It seems the electrical tape came loose and the heavy gauge eyelets shorted across to the starter housing and I could see a small fire. I was able to blow it out and then I disconnected the cable at the battery. I cleaned that area with engine degreaser and then rewrapped the wires with new electrical tape. Put it all back together and it appears to be fine.

My question is, why do they have two heavy gauge wires run back up to the dash area from the starter? Why not go directly from the battery to the dash? I am thinking about making a new wiring harness because I do not trust the electrical tape to last. Also, the terminal eyelet connection to the wire has been burned and probably should be replaced.

/ Wiring question - IH 684 #2  
Are you sure this electrical taped connection was original from the factory? Or is it a possible modification by a prior owner? Either way it could have been done to avoid running another wire from the battery back to the fuse panel. It's a shorter jump from the starter.