Wish that had not happened!

/ Wish that had not happened! #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
:mad: Well, just crud! I set the finishing mower off today so I could use the box blade on the L2501 with 30 hours on it now. I started backing up to the box blade and felt some resistance, so I stopped and got off to look. The adjustable thing that sets the height of the right side lift arm had come off at the top. I don't know how in the @*^$ that could happen? The hitch pin had dropped off and the ball end just slipped off the pin and fell down and of course when I started backing up it bent the you know what out of the turnbuckle on that side. :mad: After some colorful language that would have gotten me in great trouble years ago because one of the kids would have run straight to mama and squawked about it...I pulled forward enough to get it off the tire. I assume the turnbuckle threaded ends can be replaced or is it a whole unit? This would be a good time to upgrade to the stabilizer bars. I am curious as to what the turnbuckle would cost as I need to use the tractor again before I could receive any stabilizer type bars. I need to go over to my oldest boys place (across the road) and do some work with it on Tuesday when he will be home so I sort of need something pretty quick and assume the Kubota dealer will have a turnbuckle on hand. Anyone deal with this before? I had to drop the box blade to do some FEL work, it was rubbing too hard on that side without the turnbuckle. :(

/ Wish that had not happened! #2  
A picture of the damaged part/s would help and I'm no expert on Kubotas but I have use the turnbuckles sold at TSC on my linkage and they work great.

/ Wish that had not happened! #3  
I vote for the stabilizer bars as they are much easier to adjust and use.

/ Wish that had not happened! #4  
Can you bend it back, straight enough to get the work at your son's place done and until you can get the stabilizer bars?
I've had turnbuckles on side & toplinks "undo" themselves, just from the gentle vibration of the tractor. It has caused some embarrassing moments. As a result, I've got into the habit of socking them up good & tight with a wrench.

The stabilizer bars have been a huge improvement on our B2320 and the B5100.
They replace the check chains / sway turnbuckles, not the turnbuckle lifting links.
You might take a look at the crank adjustable lift links, since you're in the market.
I've seen them on some older tractors and I think AgriSupply carries them, too ...
Mark Hodge, of Stabilworks, made both and I highly recommend him, if he's still in business.

/ Wish that had not happened! #5  
... for some reason I can't edit my post ...
the last paragraph should read:

They replace the check chains / sway turnbuckles, not the turnbuckle lifting links.
Mark Hodge, of Stabilworks, made both and I highly recommend him, if he's still in business.

You might take a look at the crank adjustable lift links, since you're in the market.
They call them leveling boxes.
I've seen them on some older tractors, 8N comes to mind, and I think AgriSupply carries them, too.
Something like this:
Object moved
... or this:
Ferguson Leveling Box Assembly for Ferguson TO20,TO30,FE35,35,50,MH50 - 8N577A

/ Wish that had not happened!
A picture of the damaged part/s would help and I'm no expert on Kubotas but I have use the turnbuckles sold at TSC on my linkage and they work great.

Great, I'm going right by there later today. I'll take a look to see if something will work until I can get the good stabilizer bars.

I vote for the stabilizer bars as they are much easier to adjust and use.

Yes, I just don't want to spend $80. on a new turnbuckle and then get the stabilizer bars too.

Can you bend it back, straight enough to get the work at your son's place done and until you can get the stabilizer bars?
I've had turnbuckles on side & toplinks "undo" themselves, just from the gentle vibration of the tractor. It has caused some embarrassing moments. As a result, I've got into the habit of socking them up good & tight with a wrench.

I've seen them on some older tractors and I think AgriSupply carries them, too ...

You know how re-bending something with threads usually works...snap!

I have an old Ford 8N with the crank style you mentioned. It sure was a common sense item for that. Seems Kubota and others could take a page from history to "improve" this new stuff.

/ Wish that had not happened! #9  
TSC should have something close to working. If you want to drive to VA, you can borrow my turnbuckles -- they are just hanging on the wall looking lonely after I put on the telescoping stabilizers.

Here she is

Boy, if I was just 40 years younger...I would just grab it and twist 'er back into shape. :(