Woman killed by loader

/ Woman killed by loader #1  

BRMyers

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota Grand L3560HSTC
BUNKER HILL A Bunker Hill woman died Sunday after striking a skid-steer loader that fell off a flatbed trailer and into her path.

According to Illinois State Police, Dale R. Mansholt, 37, of Dorsey, was going south on Illinois 159 near Bunker Hill at about 6:18 p.m. Sunday, driving a car that was pulling a flatbed trailer carrying a John Deere skid-steer loader.

Police said the loader fell off the trailer and into the northbound lane of the highway. Teresa D. Mullink, 57, of Bunker Hill, was going north on the road and hit the loader head-on, according to police.

Woman dies after hitting loader that fell from trailer - Alton Telegraph

This brings up the important point for us that trailer items to make sure we are securing our loads properly. Two lives have been devastated here, one lost forever, one will suffer the consequences of his actions until the day he dies.

/ Woman killed by loader #2  
Another reason to slow down and pay attention to what is in front of you! Sometimes I wish that D.O.T. would hold classes for securing cargo to trailers.

I prefer 4 points of contact with the cargo with chains if equipment or appropriate straps on other.

Let's remind ourselves that others depend on our securing our cargo!

/ Woman killed by loader #3  
Indeed sad event. :(

/ Woman killed by loader #4  
The accident will effect many more people than those involved. Families and friends. co-workers. I would feel endless guilt if I did a poor tie down and that happen. Skid steers don't roll easy when shut down but will bounce and slide. I have seen loose chain tie downs. Its not a job to do half a;;. I worked with a guy in the 80's when his brother was killed by a backhoe coming off a trailer. His hunting buddy, He quit hunting.

/ Woman killed by loader #5  
What kind of car has the towing capacity to pull a trailer with a skidsteer? It must have been a tiny trailer and tiny skidsteer.

On another note, I see people pulling skidsteers/CTLs with just one chain across the bucket. I use one chain at each of the 4 corners.

/ Woman killed by loader #6  
Older sub 2000# skidsteers are not uncommon and there are many cars with a 3500# tow rating.

Aaron Z

/ Woman killed by loader #8  
You have to be a special kind of stupid to have skid steer loader actually just fall off a trailer while traveling down a highway.

/ Woman killed by loader #10  
Another reason to slow down and pay attention to what is in front of you! Sometimes I wish that D.O.T. would hold classes for securing cargo to trailers.

I prefer 4 points of contact with the cargo with chains if equipment or appropriate straps on other.

Let's remind ourselves that others depend on our securing our cargo!

The article said they were going in opposite directions. We could be sitting at a full stop and something can come from the opposite lanes and kill us.

Still a good reminder to secure your loads, though. :thumbsup: