Chipper Wood chipper @ 540 or 960 RPM

/ Wood chipper @ 540 or 960 RPM #1  

lagomasino

Tractor
Kubota B2620
I have read that the Wallenstein chippers can run at 540-1000 RPM. Other brands may as well. Has anyone tried running a chipper at a higher RPM? Does it run better/worst?

I imagine that the flywheel of the chipper at twice the RPM stores twice the energy and might be able to handle the thicker branches better. But it may feed too fast as well.

Any real-life experience out there?

Thanks!

/ Wood chipper @ 540 or 960 RPM #2  
I run my BX-42 around 600-650 RPM and vary that to 750-800 rpm at intervals during my green, softwood chipping. Always at the higher RPM for the thicker pieces. My 4-cylinder 40 HP diesel takes this method effortlessly.

/ Wood chipper @ 540 or 960 RPM #3  
I have a BX-42 as well running on a 45hp NH. Have owned this chipper for a couple of months and love it. Is there any concern about wear etc running it at PTO speeds above 540?

/ Wood chipper @ 540 or 960 RPM #4  
My chipper is rated for 540 RPM and says not to run it higher. You can order them for the higher RPM but if it isn't rated for it I wouldn't want to be within sight of it in case all of that stored energy decides to leave.:eek:
You should check what it is rated for before running faster than 540.

/ Wood chipper @ 540 or 960 RPM
brandoro, I see you have a BX42 also. The specs on their website say that it can run at 540-1000 RPM. Does yours actually say not to run it higher than 540 RPM? That's one of the models I am seriously considering to get as I have heard nothing but great reviews on it. I am also considering the Salsco 624, but is about $1000 more! I intend to use whichever I get on a Kubota B2620 which has two RPM settings on the PTO (540 and 960).
In order to get the max HP at the PTO, the engine must be at top RPM. So my interest was more in learning of any experience of running the chipper at the 540 or 960 setting with the engine at top RPM.

Does anyone know if a Salsco 624 can run at 960 RPM also? There is not much I can find by way of specifications on the Salsco at their website. Any pointers are appreciated.

/ Wood chipper @ 540 or 960 RPM #6  
Both my chipper and its manual are at my shop which is a few miles from here. Next time I am there I will check to be certain.
Until then you should be very certain that your chipper and/or manual states that it can operate at the higher RPM. My understanding was that the chippers can be made to operate at either RPM. May be poorly represented on the brochure.

/ Wood chipper @ 540 or 960 RPM #7  
OK, I have a BX42 that I run on a Kubota B2620. You all made me go get out my manual. On page 55 it says that both the BX42, and the BX62 are rated at 540-1000 RPM. Let's see if I can find anything else. No, that is the only mention of RPM that I can find. I've thought about using the 960 RPM for chipping stringy, and leafy stuff since that is the only thing thing that seems to plug the chipper. The stringy material bends around the twig breaker instead of getting snapped off, and then unsprings in the chute, and can plug the way for the material following it. I think I will try it the next time I have it mounted. I do love the chipper, and so do my neighbors!

/ Wood chipper @ 540 or 960 RPM
ChuckinNH, Thanks for checking the manual. And glad to hear that you (and your neighbors) love the BX42. I'd appreciate to hear your opinion when you get a chance to run it at 960 RPM.

/ Wood chipper @ 540 or 960 RPM #9  
I imagine that the flywheel of the chipper at twice the RPM stores twice the energy...

FWIW, be aware that 2x the velocity is 4x the energy - energy increases as the square of the velocity, very important to make sure the equipment is rated correctly... ;)