Wood chipper for different size chips

/ Wood chipper for different size chips #1  

Frank_T

Tractor
JD 750 - Kioti TBD
Im looking for a wood chipper that can produce differensize chips. I have a bunch of apple, cherry, hickory and pine that Id like to turn the smaller branches (6" or less) to produce larger chips for smoking (~3/4"-1" sq) and smaller chips (1/4"-1/2") for animal bedding. Im looking to spend about $3500. I have access to a tractor with about 30-35hp at the PTO. Does anyone have experience with a chipper that can make a range of chips like this with the woods listed?
Thanks
Frank T

/ Wood chipper for different size chips #2  
Wood chip size is largely a function of the blade(s) edge to anvil difference and blade edge to flywheel face distance. I have a 3"-maximum, stand-alone chipper-shredder that produces 1/4 - 1/2" chips; the anvil is set about the thickness of a business card from the blade which extends about 1/4" from the face of the shredding drum. Small, around 10 hp chippers have only enough power to shave the ends of 3" logs. My 6" Salsco calls for a blade to anvil distance of 1/16 - 1/4" . It is set for 3/16" and produces much larger chips, some as large as a deck of cards. Both PTO chippers I have used, a 4" Wallenstein and the 6" Salsco, produce chips larger than the setting. I attribute that to the greater distance between the anvil and the face of the flywheel or between the blade edge and the flywheel and slack space around the infeed throat and the blades. Pliant twigs are usually spit out like "birds' nests".

My tractor has 32 hp at the PTO and no problem with the Salsco and its heavy flywheel.

I suggest borrowing or renting a 4"-6" PTO chipper and seeing if feeding chips through a second (or third) time reduces them to the size you want for bedding. Feeding multiple times will likely be more efficient than frequent blade adjustments. Chipper-shredders that macerate leaves and small branches, typically with a hammer-mill, are more expensive than chippers (only) at a given throat size but may be another solution. If possible, try before you buy.

/ Wood chipper for different size chips #3  
Salsco does make a 12", 35 hp min, PTO wood-shaving mill. I suspect it would break your budget.

/ Wood chipper for different size chips #4  
You can adjust the chip size on a Valby (Farmi) chipper

/ Wood chipper for different size chips #5  
If you're feeding chips back in a second time, consider a hammermill. They have screens on them to control the size of chips they make.

/ Wood chipper for different size chips #6  
The chipper-shredders I have used had 3/4" screens and would pass 6" and longer twigs, typically 1/8" to 3/8" in diameter apparently by chance, i.e. the twig just happened to be lined up with the hole when ejected.

/ Wood chipper for different size chips #7  
Valby chippers are impressive machines. The CH140 has a fixed knife mounting giving a nominal 1/2" chip length. Price is around $6K. The adjustable knife mount appears in the CH260 which has a minimum power requirement of 40 PTO hp and a price over $10K. I believe the 260 has optional screens to help assure uniform chip size. (Source: SouthernTool.com)

/ Wood chipper for different size chips #8  
As mentioned above, chipper/shredders that have a choice of grate size give you more choices as to the size of the product. I do wonder if any of them, though, would yield the kind of product you would want for animal bedding. You can re-feed shredder product, but probably just get smaller pieces, with a lot of sharp ends still retained. I don't cold smoke meats, but for smoke-cooking, I've found chunks and even splits to be superior to chips. Of course, if you're using an electric smoker, you need chips. You could look at the Bearcat chipper/shredder, which is an updated version of the older BushHog one that I have. It used to be an Echo product but I think someone else now owns it. In various disguises, it has had a lot of different names on it. Bush Hog was just rebadged from something else. Forget what, Harper maybe.
I can't see how a chipper without the shredder function would ever produce decent animal bedding, but I'm not really sure what nice bedding would be... I use a lot of my product for mushroom bedding, but wine caps are not fussy about their bedding..

/ Wood chipper for different size chips #9  
I had a Valby CH140, traded for a CH240 with hydraulic feed. The Ch240 has adjustable chip sizes