Chipper Wood chipper on PTO with HST question...

/ Wood chipper on PTO with HST question... #1  

Max2310

Silver Member
Tractor
GC2310 2008
I'm about to buy a wood chipper for my GC2310 and for some reason, I'm afraid that I may have problems starting off the flywheel on the chipper without stalling the tractor since I don't think I have a cluck on my PTO. I rent a commercial chipper last year and it was tricky to get the flywheel going so I wonder how it will work on my tractor. Is just my imagination or I will have problems getting this thing going :confused:

I have three levers to activate the PTO. 1 main and the other 2 are for 540/2000. And its seems to be on and off type of thing. Any ideas of what I can expect?

/ Wood chipper on PTO with HST question... #2  
Mine gets it going with no problem at a high idle, and it's a little oversized for my tractor. :thumbsup:

/ Wood chipper on PTO with HST question... #3  
I'm about to buy a wood chipper for my GC2310 and for some reason, I'm afraid that I may have problems starting off the flywheel on the chipper without stalling the tractor since I don't think I have a cluck on my PTO. I rent a commercial chipper last year and it was tricky to get the flywheel going so I wonder how it will work on my tractor. Is just my imagination or I will have problems getting this thing going :confused:

I have three levers to activate the PTO. 1 main and the other 2 are for 540/2000. And its seems to be on and off type of thing. Any ideas of what I can expect?

Generally with any PTO powered device you engage the PTO at just above idle speed and then ramp up the throttle. Just like you would do for a mid mower.

/ Wood chipper on PTO with HST question... #4  
Not sure what tractor you have , ( not familiar with that model ) , I have a N.H. TC 30 HST . Brake pedals on right and although HST , it has a clutch on the left for PTO engagement . As recommended though engage at low rpm then increase should work o.k. ???

Fred H.

/ Wood chipper on PTO with HST question... #5  
I'm about to buy a wood chipper for my GC2310 and for some reason, I'm afraid that I may have problems starting off the flywheel on the chipper without stalling the tractor since I don't think I have a clutch on my PTO. I rent a commercial chipper last year and it was tricky to get the flywheel going so I wonder how it will work on my tractor. Is just my imagination or I will have problems getting this thing going :confused:

Like any implement driven by the PTO, you may have to "blip" the throttle if the engine starts to stall...rather you have a clutch or not.
It (to me) is a bit easier if your tractor has a foot throttle...but I'm just more used to using foot throttles. You can do the same with a hand throttle...just give it a bit more RPM.
BTW, I don't expect you to have any problems engaging the PTO with a chipper. Just keep the RPM around 1000 when you engage.

/ Wood chipper on PTO with HST question...
Done! Bought the chipper and bang, it's stalls my tractor right away. I have to start the PTO and stop it right away to give it a little swing and then try to restart it while it still slowly moves... Sometimes it works better then others (because when the PTO is already moving, it's doesn't always want to be reengaged). When it goes, it goes :thumbsup:

Thanks guys for your input. I know it not easy to answer such a question with so many different combinations. Now I got lots of chipping to do. Many trees have fell last week due to strong winds with two of them ended up on on the house :(

/ Wood chipper on PTO with HST question... #7  
Done! Bought the chipper and bang, it's stalls my tractor right away.

What is the engine RPM when you're engaging the PTO?
Try a couple hundred more RPM.
As I wrote in my previous post, you may have to "blip" the throttle. That's easier if you have a foot throttle...but you can do it with a hand throttle.

/ Wood chipper on PTO with HST question... #8  
Sounds like 19HP isn't enough to get the flywheel up and running.
Is your PTO digital? Either on or off. Mine has clutch so I can feather it on.

Wedge

/ Wood chipper on PTO with HST question... #9  
Mine has clutch so I can feather it on.

That's the key here. Many many newer tractors with HST have
eliminated the foot clutch (MF, too), which requires that they have
an instant-on/instant-off PTO control. Needless to say, the newer
PTO controls can stall the engine, or break the internal clutch/brake
easily. This is the last remaining advantage of the older foot
clutch on HST CUTs, IMO.

/ Wood chipper on PTO with HST question... #10  
That's the key here. Many many newer tractors with HST have
eliminated the foot clutch (MF, too), which requires that they have
an instant-on/instant-off PTO control. Needless to say, the newer
PTO controls can stall the engine, or break the internal clutch/brake
easily. This is the last remaining advantage of the older foot
clutch on HST CUTs, IMO.

Wow, if I ever win the lottery and start looking at new tractors I hope I remember to look for this. One step forward (telescoping bottom links) and one step backward. Instant on clutch.

Wedge