Wood recommendation for door project?

/ Wood recommendation for door project? #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I have to build some custom doors and build the door trim/casing/jam etc. I've got rough openings and I need to build the rest from scratch. We're going for a look that is somewhat of a tuscan look. I'm assuming the wood will be painted...perhaps even with a fake wood grain.

I know that I can buy clear pine boards but I'm curious if you have any other thoughts on what I should consider for the materials?

/ Wood recommendation for door project? #2  
You have an endless set of options. My house has doors made of pine, oak, and cherry in various spots (would be nicer if they were all one type). I would browse a few magazines and websites to see what appeals to you then ask around to see who locally carries, can get, or makes that type of wood and go from there. In our case it's usually the Amish who can saw up and mill any of the northern hardwoods that grow around here, but there are lots of small mills that can do it.
My daughter took a catalog picture of a cherry dining room set she wanted to old Levi, 6 weeks later she had a perfect dining room set for 60% less than the catalog.

/ Wood recommendation for door project?
You have an endless set of options. My house has doors made of pine, oak, and cherry in various spots (would be nicer if they were all one type). I would browse a few magazines and websites to see what appeals to you then ask around to see who locally carries, can get, or makes that type of wood and go from there. In our case it's usually the Amish who can saw up and mill any of the northern hardwoods that grow around here, but there are lots of small mills that can do it.
My daughter took a catalog picture of a cherry dining room set she wanted to old Levi, 6 weeks later she had a perfect dining room set for 60% less than the catalog.

I don't care what the wood looks like as it will be painted anyway. It just has to be clear of knots and have a tight grain. I'm guessing I'll end up with clear pine but thought I would ask in case there might be a better choice of material. It doesn't even have to be wood, I suppose.

/ Wood recommendation for door project? #4  
Since it is going to be painted look at Poplar. Good tight grain and smooth.

/ Wood recommendation for door project? #5  
Pine would be fine. Poplar (sometimes called tulip) is most always clear grained too, might cost a little more. It's supposed to hold paint or stain very well but so does pine.

/ Wood recommendation for door project? #6  
I'm going to build my own front door too and have decided to go with oak. I'm not a fan of pine, it's too hard to find it in a good enough quality that it's cupped or warped in some way. Popular is cheaper then oak and a lot better then pine.

If you go with a hardwood, check around for prices. There is a local mill that has oak for a third of what it costs at Home Depot and Lowes.

/ Wood recommendation for door project? #7  
I do a little woodworking, and the only Pine I am familiar with that would be OK for a door is Yellow Pine. Great stuff. I also like Pecan, but if I made a door out of Pecan...or Oak either...I would hate to paint it.

/ Wood recommendation for door project?
We actually just painted a built in hutch that was made out of oak. I don't like the look of oak or the open grain any more. Not sure why I feel like that but I much prefer cherry, for example. We painted the oak using chalk paint and then topped with wax. We used an accent color and sort of antiqued it. Looks great.

Thanks for the good ideas. I'm thinking I should look into poplar.

/ Wood recommendation for door project? #9  
We bought a knotty alder door, with the metal speak easy, and clavos nails on it. Love it!

/ Wood recommendation for door project? #10  
You might look at Douglas Fir...many a door and jambs made over 100 years ago still swing true...