3-Point Hitch wood splitter for B2400?

/ wood splitter for B2400? #1  

Behrend II

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XG3140H
Wondering if my B2400 can handle a 3 pt wood splitter or if I'd be better off buying a gas one? Any recommendations?

/ wood splitter for B2400? #2  
Wondering if my B2400 can handle a 3 pt wood splitter or if I'd be better off buying a gas one? Any recommendations?

I have only split a few blocks with the splitter mounted on my B7510, but it seems to perform at least as well as my TAFE with its 4 gal/min pump. Mind you, the Bota's remote's pressure is set at 2600 lb.

IMG_6488.jpg

/ wood splitter for B2400?
Thanks - what brand/model splitter do you have?

/ wood splitter for B2400? #4  
There are two types of 3pt splitters: those that use the tractor hydraulics (you need the right setup), or those that generate their own hydraulic flow with a PTO mounted pump.

I have the Timberwolf TW-3HD (PTO pump). It works great on my M5040. I once tried it on my B2710: no go! When the ram got to the end of the backstroke, it stalled the tractor engine immediately! The B2710 doesn't have the horsepower to handle the Timberwolf.

With the models that operate off of the tractor hydraulics, you have to make sure that the tractor hydraulic flow is adequate (pressure and volume) to operate the splitter.

Ken

/ wood splitter for B2400? #5  
Thanks - what brand/model splitter do you have?

I don't know if the splitter has a brand or model number. The Mennonites around Lucknow, Ontario have built quite a few similar units over the last thirty years from off-the-shelf parts. It's strong and works well. The previous owner was a welder. Perhaps he added the extra height to the ram and wedge. He sold it to me when he discovered it would cost too much to add remotes to his new BX to power it and he bought a gas model.

/ wood splitter for B2400? #6  

Your pump flow is 5.8 GPM, and should work well.

Hydraulics:
Type: open
Capacity: 3.2 gal [12.1 L]
Pump flow: 5.8 gpm [22.0 lpm]

Do you have FEL and remotes.

Does your tractor have a hyd block to route the hyd?

/ wood splitter for B2400?
I have a FEL with a joystick style control. Not sure about the rest?

/ wood splitter for B2400? #8  
Realize to get faster splitter cycle times, you will have to be running the tractor at a fairly high rpm.