Wood Splitter Hydraulic Connection

/ Wood Splitter Hydraulic Connection #1  

Kyle241

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I searched through threads concerning 3pt splitters and only found one reference to my question. I have a Kubota MX5100 with the BH92 and was wondering whether the rear remote for the BH is sufficient to run a 3pt splitter? I would think yes but also want to make sure I am not causing any problems with my tractor.

Would love to get a Timberwolf PTO splitter but I imagine they are very expensive.

Tks.

/ Wood Splitter Hydraulic Connection #2  
Do you have an owners manual? Look up the GPM's for it.

And "sufficient" is different depending on who you talk to.

/ Wood Splitter Hydraulic Connection #3  
Yep...It is all based on how you define sufficent.

But will it work, YES. 3PH logsplitters have an open center valve. So you should have no worries hooking it up to your tractor.

But the limiting factors are PSI and GPM of your pump.

PSI along with cylinder diameter determine the splitting force.

GPM along with the volume of the cylinder (bore and stroke) determins how fast it will be.

Typical 3PH splitters use a 4x24 cylinder. The MX5100 has 9.5GPM and probabally about 2400PSI. That would result in the following on a 4x24 cylinder

Tonnage.....15
Cycle tie.....15sec

/ Wood Splitter Hydraulic Connection #4  
Lots of people use the backhoe connections to run a log splitter. I do it on my L39. The one thing I advise people is just to be cautious about lifting too much on the 3 point with the log splitter hydraulics connected. On most tractors (I do not know for sure about your MX but it is probably this way), the return from the backhoe goes to power the three point lift. When you have the log splitter connecter, the pressure required to lift the three point is applied to the return port of the log splitter valve which typically are only rated for a few hundred psi. If you just use common sense then you will not have any problem. Raising the splitter should not be an issue, but if you chain a big log to the splitter and try to lift, you are asking for trouble.

/ Wood Splitter Hydraulic Connection
Thanks everyone for the confirmation. Now I just have to decide on what I really need right now, a wood splitter (always in need), a used disc (must have now that I have turned over the field, forks (nice to have based on everyone's comments about them), a stone fork (I just have too many stones but guess I'll do it the old fashioned way, lifting them into the bucket).