Wood splitter hydraulics

/ Wood splitter hydraulics #1  

Dead Horse

Platinum Member
my 3710 has power beyond, spring valve controlled connectors mounted at the back. What if any problem am I causing by useing these connections to drive a wood splitter cylinder?

I have to bungee the lever in an open position to get oil flow, then the splitter valve works just fine....

Heat problems?

the alternative is to disconnect the HP feed line and the return line from the FEL, and run hose to the splitter valve and back. This disables the FEL and generally is a PITA.

Comments??????

/ Wood splitter hydraulics #2  
No problems, this is how many use a 3 point splitter.

Chris

/ Wood splitter hydraulics #3  
That's actually the correct way since most splitter valves are not plumbed for power beyond.

/ Wood splitter hydraulics #4  
I am planning to build or buy a log splitter to run from the hydraulics on my JD 3320. It has a rear SCV connection. Can I eliminate the seperate control valve for the splitter and use the control valve on the tractor to run the splitter. I know this does not make for convenient operation without someone helping you but I have a helper and only produce enough wood for my shop stove. If I were to use the control valve on the wood splitter I too would have to tie off the tractor's control valve. I apoligize if this is the same question as above, as I am not familiar with the power beyond set up on these tractors.

/ Wood splitter hydraulics #5  
Dead Horse and Ordite:
We need to get the terminology correct so as not so confuse others reading, your are both talking about rear "remotes" NOT "power beyond" to operate your splitters. If it was a Power Beyond circuit there would NOT be a valve controlling the flow to the couplers. Remember the Power Beyond circuit has oil flow whenever your tractor is running.

Dead Horse:
Your setup is perfectly acceptable, no problem doing it that way whatsoever.

Ordite:
Can I eliminate the seperate control valve for the splitter and use the control valve on the tractor to run the splitter.
Yes, you can eliminate the valve on the splitter.
If I were to use the control valve on the wood splitter I too would have to tie off the tractor's control valve.
Yes, that is correct.

/ Wood splitter hydraulics #6  
kennyd

Thanks for the information. I am leaning towards building a splitter since I do not use a lot of wood and don't want to make the investment necessary to purchase a manufactured unit. I have been using a spiral cone splitter on the PTO of my older tractor but I am convinced this is too dangerous to continue using. Guess I'm getting more safety conscious and having too much fun being retired to risk getting seriously injured.

/ Wood splitter hydraulics
Dead Horse te:
We need to get the terminology correct so as not so confuse others reading, your are both talking about rear "remotes" NOT "power beyond" to operate your splitters. If it was a Power Beyond circuit there would NOT be a valve controlling the flow to the couplers. Remember the Power Beyond circuit has oil flow whenever your tractor is running.

Dead Horse:
Your setup is perfectly acceptable, no problem doing it that way whatsoever.

The FEL control does have a power beyond circuit. This is NOT what the dealer tied into when installing the rear valve control? Ok then what and how can that circuit be used???????

The dealer also ran two seperate hoses to the back of the tractor that can quick connect to the loader High pressure line and the return line. Of course using these disables the FEL, as I mentioned in my first post. Sounds like the morons could have just tied into the power beyond circuit and ran the second line back to T into the return line. If I made this modification, I could run my splitter from these rear connections WITHOUT having to disconnect the FEL.......... AND I would not have to deal with an additional control valve (one on the remote and one on the splitter) as I have to do now. Is this correct?

learning and learning..................:eek:

/ Wood splitter hydraulics #8  
The FEL control does have a power beyond circuit. This is NOT what the dealer tied into when installing the rear valve control? Ok then what and how can that circuit be used???????

The dealer also ran two seperate hoses to the back of the tractor that can quick connect to the loader High pressure line and the return line. Of course using these disables the FEL, as I mentioned in my first post. Sounds like the morons could have just tied into the power beyond circuit and ran the second line back to T into the return line. If I made this modification, I could run my splitter from these rear connections WITHOUT having to disconnect the FEL.......... AND I would not have to deal with an additional control valve (one on the remote and one on the splitter) as I have to do now. Is this correct?

learning and learning..................:eek:

Sounds like your dealer hooked your valve up backwards to me, the FEL should ALWAYS be active:confused:

It should be:
-OUT of the pump directly to the IN of the FEL valve
-The OUT of the FEL valve should got to the tank return
-The PB of the FEL valve should go to the IN of the rear valve
-The PB of the rear valve should go to the 3PH probably
-The OUT of the rear valve should got to the tank also-this can be T'd with the line from the FEL valve (it's the ONLY line that can be T'd)

/ Wood splitter hydraulics
Sounds like your dealer hooked your valve up backwards to me, the FEL should ALWAYS be active:confused:

It should be:
-OUT of the pump directly to the IN of the FEL valve
-The OUT of the FEL valve should got to the tank return
-The PB of the FEL valve should go to the IN of the rear valve
-The PB of the rear valve should go to the 3PH probably
-The OUT of the rear valve should got to the tank also-this can be T'd with the line from the FEL valve (it's the ONLY line that can be T'd)

That is probably the way they have it hooked up. HOWEVER, in addition to that plumbing, there are two more hoses that run from the couplings (between the loader control and a block just under the drivers right foot that controls to flow of fluid) to the rear of the tractor. These get used by disconnecting the 2 couplings at the block to the FEL and connecting these lines there.

The original purpose was to provide remote power to an implement (splitter) that had its own control valve, eliminating the extra CV.

my question is, can these lines be tied into the PB line and the return line. The key is how the flow of the PB circuit works. I need to go diagram what is there and figure out how it is currently working.

/ Wood splitter hydraulics #10  
I am not comprehending how it works now...You will have to draw a diagram I guess.

Last edited: