Woodburner install Pics

/ Woodburner install Pics #22  
Boy those electric baseboards are always power-hungry.

It's hard to compare due to weather differences between Ohio and Virginia, but in November we averaged 57 KwH per day for all electric with geothermal, for 2700 sq.ft of living space. My southern wife keeps the thermostat at 71F during the day and 68F during the night, about 2-4 deg higher than I'd prefer but it's easier to keep her happy. In Nov we only heated with wood 2-3 mornings per week when it was cold enough, and all that really does is prevent the first floor from requiring geothermal (thermostat typically reads 72-73F at the opposite corner of the first floor once the fireplace gets cranking). Second floor still calls for geo in the morning, and then both zones call for geo in the afternoon/evening/overnight. The other 4-5 days a week it's all geo all the time.

If I had to eyeball the Nov temperature graph to get a median daily temperature (only in the sense that the eyeball median divides the daily up/down wiggles evenly) I'd say 45F on average, probably at least 10F warmer than you.

/ Woodburner install Pics #23  
I bought mostly the cree. But thought I'd give a few of them goofy looking flat Phillips a try. Side by side comparison I didn't notice a difference. And these were daylight version as I prefer them over the yellower color.

I could never dream of 10kwh/day.

Not sure what a stove and coffee pot burn, but imagine the coffee is 1000w, and probably average 4 hours a day. Stove + cooktop probably another 6kwh. So I am at 10 there.

Waterheater is probably another 15kwh. I think the yellow sticker is something like 4800kwh/year.

Add another 10 for computers, TVs, laundry, etc. I think 30's is lowest I'll ever see.

But with gas for stove and water heater, I can see how it is easy to get to 10

Just gas heat and water... don't use the heat much.

Cooking is all electric... guess I don't cook much... no coffee drinkers here ;-)

/ Woodburner install Pics #24  
$500 for installation by certified installer (required by my home-owner's insurance co.).

My insurance co didn't say anything one way or the other, but when when we put the stove in this house we paid the $500 for installation and it was money well spent. Didn't know it when we bought the place, but the house is plank construction, which means solid walls...in this case about 2½" thick. Not sure what kind of wood they used back in the 1830s, but it wasn't something soft like spruce or pine. I think he went thru 3 batteries on his sawzall to get the hole cut! Between that and the weight/awkwardness of installing 18 vertical feet of double-wall stainless it was well worth the money!

/ Woodburner install Pics
Boy those electric baseboards are always power-hungry.

It's hard to compare due to weather differences between Ohio and Virginia, but in November we averaged 57 KwH per day for all electric with geothermal, for 2700 sq.ft of living space. My southern wife keeps the thermostat at 71F during the day and 68F during the night, about 2-4 deg higher than I'd prefer but it's easier to keep her happy. In Nov we only heated with wood 2-3 mornings per week when it was cold enough, and all that really does is prevent the first floor from requiring geothermal (thermostat typically reads 72-73F at the opposite corner of the first floor once the fireplace gets cranking). Second floor still calls for geo in the morning, and then both zones call for geo in the afternoon/evening/overnight. The other 4-5 days a week it's all geo all the time.

If I had to eyeball the Nov temperature graph to get a median daily temperature (only in the sense that the eyeball median divides the daily up/down wiggles evenly) I'd say 45F on average, probably at least 10F warmer than you.

57kwh per day for 2700sq ft isnt too bad.

Hard to compare someone else's house to mine though. Different living habits and styles.

I can say, my old house was the same size but 6" walls instead of 4" walls. And it had an old 10seer 2.5 ton air-to-air unit. Same style stove, same washer/dryer and appliances, a little more efficient water heater (85 gallon marathon) compared to a 50 gallon rheem here with less insulation. But I also had my 30x50 shop that I spen alot of time in fabricating, welding, etc. Plus running a few small pond pumps and an aerator pump 24/7. MY usage there was ~1600 in the summer and ~2500-2800 winter.

Once geo is installed, and I get the shop built, I expect a little less usage here. Yea, geo is more efficient, even though I have less insulation, But will also NOT be running pond pumps and aerator either. Which the two pond pumps were 60w and 200w, and the aerator was 600w. So that there totaled about 600kwh/month right there. So I would expect somewhere around 2000 in the winter and ~1000 in the summer. Currently with wood I am ~1000kwh winter. So adding 1000kwh for the geo (about $120/month) would be worth it not to burn a cord of wood ($160) each month in the winter.

/ Woodburner install Pics #26  
My insurance co didn't say anything one way or the other, but when when we put the stove in this house we paid the $500 for installation and it was money well spent. Didn't know it when we bought the place, but the house is plank construction, which means solid walls...in this case about 2ス" thick. Not sure what kind of wood they used back in the 1830s, but it wasn't something soft like spruce or pine. I think he went thru 3 batteries on his sawzall to get the hole cut! Between that and the weight/awkwardness of installing 18 vertical feet of double-wall stainless it was well worth the money!

I agree its worth the money. They hauled the stove to the basement and installed the firebricks, cut a hole in the 1st floor, installed a spacer box, cut a hole in the 1st floor ceiling, installed another spacer box, cut a hole in the roof, installed a 3rd spacer box, then installed all the pipes. Took two guys about 6 hours and it was done! The spacer boxes keep the pipe the proper distance away from flammables. All I had to do was install 2X's to the outside of the boxes and drywall, finish and paint. Done. :thumbsup:

/ Woodburner install Pics #27  
+1 on paying for wood stove installation. I did the demolition to remove a propane fireplace appliance (now there's a worthless piece of junk: Neither heat nor pretty flames), then the installers came out to deliver the stove and install the flue. I sheet rocked the walls and ceiling, then put in floor tile and ledger rock on the walls. They came back and installed the stove, and even helped hang a ceiling fan with their tall ladder. Great guys to work with, and they did nice work, too. Insurance company insisted on a permit and pro install, BTW.

Funny side story. Several of my neighbors warned me about a certain building inspector and recommended skipping the permit. It seems the guy has a real chip on his shoulder and likes people to jump through a lot of extra hoops. Because of the drawn out nature of my installation, it was several months from the time I pulled the permit and when the inspection was actually done, and sure enough the inspector rotation put the notorious Richard Nixon (that's really the guy's name) as my man. I don't know what all the fuss was about, because when he showed up he was right on time, was very courteous, and after he learned that it was a pro install, didn't even want to look at my progress photos or go up on the roof to see the cap. He was even helpful when I asked him about barn contractors and septic systems. Maybe the attitude problem isn't with the inspector after all? ;)