Woodchuck (again, I think!)

/ Woodchuck (again, I think!) #1  

Tom_Trees

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
I've been through the back posts on woodchuck and don't see the answer I need. What's the best way to fill the burrows after the 'chuck is gone? I just dropped the right front into a burrow I wasn't aware of./w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif Had a load of gravel in the FEL at the time.

Tom

/ Woodchuck (again, I think!) #2  
A bunch of broken sticks jammed in as deep as you can followed by lots of soil and water in layers. Tamp it in with a big stick as you go.

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-72852-2500bx65.jpg

/ Woodchuck (again, I think!) #3  
have not done it but why not use the fel to scrape and fill?

James "woody" Mills

/ Woodchuck (again, I think!) #4  
How about loading the FEL bucket with gravel, and driving over (along) the burrow with the front wheels? That seems like a sure way to disrupt the integrity of woody's burrow. I can't think of an easier way either. I do something similar with mole burrows, either with a load in the bucket or with a 600# lawn roller. Depends on where they are and how easy it is to get to them with the tractor with FEL.

/ Woodchuck (again, I think!) #5  
Don't start me on moles. I'm a fanatic. Wood chuck holes are a far different beast than mole tunnels.

<font color=green> MossRoad </font color=green>
18-72852-2500bx65.jpg

/ Woodchuck (again, I think!) #6  
Tom
I've been leveling out an area that had several Woodchuck hole. I have been using FEL to dig up soil. Them filling back in with same dirt. Other areas I have been using Rorotiller to break up soil. Then just threw seed down and raked it in.

I had several Woodchucks on my place. Tried one of the suggestions of pouring Ammonia and Bleach into holes stuffed with rags. This didn't seem to work./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif About a month later (early August) I stopped seeing anymore of them./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Still wondering if solution worked or if something else done them in?

How did you get rid of yours?

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ Woodchuck (again, I think!)
<font color=blue>How did you get rid of yours?</font color=blue>

Two ways. First, I got rid of the excess vegitation that was shielding the burrows; they don't seem to like their burrows out in the open. The second is a variation of one posted here.

I wait until after a rain, then dump another five gallons of water down the mouth of the burrow. I follow this with between a quart and a half-gallon of gasoline. Wait about a minute for the fumes to spread nicely, stand to the side of the burrow, and toss in a lit kitchen match.

If he's home, the explosion will do him in. If he's not home, the pervasive aroma of gasoline will cause him to abandon the burrow.

Tom