Wooden Bridge Question

/ Wooden Bridge Question #31  
It is or I wouldn't have stated it. But thanks for confirming. It's pretty much why I don't build bridges and chose the EE route to repair and commission generator voltage regulators in order to keep your lights burning. The abutments aside I was really more interested in the actual bridge span structure. I assume since you guys didn't flame his butt over that it must be fairly sound. Thus my questions about the I beams.

There is not much to be said about the I beams, without knowing the web and the flange dimensions, and wt. per ft., other than that they do look like I beams!
Not all I beams are created equally!

Last edited:
   / Wooden Bridge Question #32  
The creek bed is almost solid rock, back fill was with large boulders
and stone. We widened the creek 4' under the bridge and it is 2' higher
than the previous span. Also there are headwalls on both sides on the up stream
side. We discussed possible erosion, but this flooding is not a constant problem.
Had several Tri-axles loaded with gravel for the other side,
bridge never flexed!!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5978.JPG
    IMG_5978.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5982.JPG
    IMG_5982.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5983.JPG
    IMG_5983.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5987 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_5987 - Copy.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_5994.JPG
    IMG_5994.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 150
   / Wooden Bridge Question #33  
Allways interesting to read these topics. People ask questions in a way of which you know they dont know whats important, (So its good that they ask) Then other people think they can give a definitive answer to that question, thereby showing that they have even less insight than the ones who ask.

The engineers who actually know whats involved in structural engineering, rather not get involved in these types of discussions because they know they cant give a conscientous answer without knowing all the variables.

I am not a civil engineer, but the water council approved my building permit calculation over a 40 foot span, because i calculated with the worst case scenario, the retaining wall T elements used have an extremely low ground pressure and are dug below the depth of the canal so washout is impossible. I reverse engineered the retaining walls certified side load into a bending moment, to find what these would support vertically. As deck we used 12 I beams 40 inch high, because we could get them used as a package deal. I ended up with a 120 ton static capacity, and let the authorities decide if this met the civil engineering code, because there is no information online because most people dont build their own bridges...

The bridge should support a 4 inline wheel slurry tank with 20 ton pendle axle load, and a transport tanker with 50 ton combined weight.

/ Wooden Bridge Question #34  
side. We discussed possible erosion, but this flooding is not a constant problem.
Had several Tri-axles loaded with gravel for the other side,
bridge never flexed!!!!!!

Nice bridge!

/ Wooden Bridge Question #35  
so the OP never got back with any info did they?

/ Wooden Bridge Question #38  

Awesome, thank you for the additional context and pics. I like the big boulders in front of the wing walls.
Dang, looks like your piece of land might just be a giant boulder pile with a light glaze of topsoil, LOL.