wooden fence gate question

/ wooden fence gate question #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi all i am putting in some 3 rail and post fencing with metal no climb fence to keep the dogs in. I need to make four 4' gates. I told the wife it would be no problem, but now she wants to see examples and i am kind of stumped. Any suggestions on what to use to make them, or does anyone have any pictures of wooden gates they have made. i plan on using 4x6s posts on the hinge side of the gate, and 4x4s for the rest of the posts.
Thanks for the help.
Forgeblast

/ wooden fence gate question #2  
I'm in the middle of similar project. I'm fencing about 1/2 acre for the dogs using 4X4 pressure treated posts with 2X4 rails and 2X4 welded wire. I'm not much of a carptenter, so the gates were built (one 6 ft and one 4ft) out of the 2X4 lumber using a kit I purchased at Home Depot (cost about $30) which included 4 brackets with hinges attatched (use your own screws- the ones in the kit were cheap). It made it easy to keep gate square, although I did add a turnbuckle to the 6' gate (I had one from the zip line the dogs used to use). I plan on posting a series of project pictures when I get done, but in the meantime here's a couple of the gate.

Attachments

• 862903-Fence 2 70K.jpg
    862903-Fence 2 70K.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 770
   / wooden fence gate question #3  
A closer view.

Attachments

• 862904-Fence 4 85K.jpg
    862904-Fence 4 85K.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,510
   / wooden fence gate question #4  
Home Depot and Lowes sell metal kits that work really well. The problem with just wood is it will sag over time with usage and weather. The metal frame does all the work and you'll never have to worry about sag.

Do you have another way to get in there for mowing? 4 feet is kind of tight for a ride along mower or a tractor. I'd think 6 feet would be better, or two 4 foot gates together with a concrete pad in the middle to put a rod into to lock them into place.

Eddie

/ wooden fence gate question
im heading to hd tonight, so ill look at those kits. Thats pretty cheap too, i was pricing hinges etc, and the one set i was looking at were 22 for the hinges alone. The dog area is kind of small and i have a small push mower to get into the tight areas.
Nice work on the fence , i plan on using 1x6x16 deck boards for the rails.
thanks for sharing the pics
forgeblast

/ wooden fence gate question
I really wish they had a tsc around by us. ill check and see if they offer it online.