Wooden Sign for Subdivision

/ Wooden Sign for Subdivision #1  

GaryM

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4100 Hydro
Saturday morning one of the local teen drivers missed the curve and wiped out our subdivision sign. :( No one was hurt, so that's OK. His folks say they'll pay for a new sign.

The old sign was made by one of the residents. It was a glued up panel with purchased wooden letters applied. The letters were about 7-8" high.

I'm investigating a commercal replacement, but I might do a local manufacture instead. I don't want to glue up a panel, so am considering a man made product such as MDF for the field.

Anyone have any experience with this or similar products. I know the MDF will have to be painted from time to time.

I'm trying to find one of the places that sandblasts signs into the wood as a commercial alternative.

/ Wooden Sign for Subdivision #2  
Don't use MDF (medium density fiber ) for exterior signs, it won't hold up. You want to use double faced MDO plywood and make sure you seal the edges before you prime & paint it.

/ Wooden Sign for Subdivision
I think that's the stuff I was really thinking of. The stuff Norm uses on New Yankee Workshop. It's got some kind of paper facing on it.

The local sign place now uses HDU High Density Urathane to make signs. Supposed to be the cat's meow. Water proof and all that. I'm stopping by this afternoon to get some idea of price.

/ Wooden Sign for Subdivision #4  
You can texturize those urethane signs too.

that would be my bet. Way better looking than stick on wood letters..

Soundguy

/ Wooden Sign for Subdivision #5  
For sandblasting, check with a monument provider.
Or we also have a couple of sign companies that will sandblast.