WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues

/ WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues #31  
You do realize that probably everyone there is off this week and also it's only been what, 5 days? I think I'd take a chill pill for a minute. Hopefully they get it get taken care of quickly for you but you have to realize that they're not Amazon. The guy in the service department that I've talked to was actually pretty helpful for what that's worth.

FYI if you read the flail mower thread most of the people that buy these say to retorque all the bolts and put loctite on them. I've had two of them and I would give you the same advice short of actually taking things apart to put loctite on them. I don't do that but I do check all the bolts that I can get to and I do put loctite on the hitch frame bolts when I put that together.
After seeing how this post started as well as the OPs other posts, I think we can look forward to a lot of complaining. I can understand his disappointment, but take a breath. Others have liked their Woodmaxx flail mowers, and all will be better in the future.

/ WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues
I've been mowing over 10 acres of brush with a woodmax now for 2 yrs. and it's still going strong no loose bolts. Not as good of a machine as the Howard I used for 18 yrs. but so far does the job and I do check the bolts. Tall thick brush will cause problems you have to mow it down in 2 passes or it will just jam up in the flail smoking the belts and possibly other damage.
Honestly, it seems like a good machine that never had it’s bolts torqued at the factory. The machine neve clogged on me, and it seemed to be built to do the job. I’d be happy to accept a replacement.

I got a WoodMaxx snowblower too and it’s been great so far even though we’ve had minimal snow. I ran a different brand mower for years and I can tell this WoodMaxx is built way better.

It all just makes this issue more frustrating. Holidays and all, I’m a little perplexed by the continued lack of a definitive response. All they need to say is that they are going to take care of it.

/ WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues #33  
I had a Woodmaxx with a few issues. The chrome shafts looked too small and actually drooped when they had to hold up the mower. Woodmaxx didn’t bother responding to them.

So I wrote a slightly negative review, which Woodmaxx promptly removed from their site.

Seems like a crappy company. The flail I actually thought was otherwise pretty well built and painted, and had they corrected a few minor issues would have been a good deal.

Still silence from WoodMaxx on this. No response to a follow up note sent last week. Doing my best to take the advice of a few comments on here and be patient, but it's still a little worrisome.

/ WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues #35  
Good that you are "doing your best to take the advice of a few comments on here and be patient". If you come across as a whiner, no one will take you seriously - Woodmaxx or TBM members. I hope you get your issue resolved.

/ WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues #36  
I would say you definitely have a warranty issue with Woodmaxx. I have been considering purchasing one of their flail mowers but, this is concerning. If this was overlooked at the factory and it most likely was, their quality control is in need of an overhaul...this is made in China quality (or lack thereof), not USA.

/ WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues #38  
You do realize that probably everyone there is off this week and also it's only been what, 5 days? I think I'd take a chill pill for a minute. Hopefully they get it get taken care of quickly for you but you have to realize that they're not Amazon. The guy in the service department that I've talked to was actually pretty helpful for what that's worth.

FYI if you read the flail mower thread most of the people that buy these say to retorque all the bolts and put loctite on them. I've had two of them and I would give you the same advice short of actually taking things apart to put loctite on them. I don't do that but I do check all the bolts that I can get to and I do put loctite on the hitch frame bolts when I put that together.

I'm not going to apologize for having a bit of angst over a $3k piece of equipment being useless after 3 hours of use. I bought it because I needed it. I paid for new because I wanted some peace of mind. I understand the Holidays and time off. They've been responsive (so they are there and working) but just haven't told me what they are going to do about it. It would be nice to know where I am going from here.

As for torquing everything down and adding loctite, that just doesn't seem reasonable. Exposed parts I get, but I am not going to disassemble and reassemble the entire piece of equipment. At that point they might as well make it clear that they are just sending me parts and I need to assemble the entire machine myself. Running it for a bit and then checking tightness is one thing, having it rattle apart in the field between 1 hour and 3 hours of use with multiple points of failure is another.
It looks like the Woodmaxx warranty for flail mowers covers (defective) parts only for 2 years. Don't know whether or not the OP was hot under the collar with his first emails to the manufacturer, but it could cause them to be cautious with their reply.

Again, I hope the OP gets resolution to his problem. I can understand the excitement with getting a new piece of equipment, and the disappointment when it fails. Tractor/implement owners usually have to do some maintenance and wrenching, This unit obviously failed. If the OP and Woodmaxx engage in useful conversation, there should be a remedy at the end.

There are plenty of other owners of Woodmaxx equipment on TBN that seem happy with their purchase and the value. I'm not ready to write them off just yet based on this thread.

I hope Kwehme09 is soon back on his tractor and happily mowing away.

I would say you definitely have a warranty issue with Woodmaxx. I have been considering purchasing one of their flail mowers but, this is concerning. If this was overlooked at the factory and it most likely was, their quality control is in need of an overhaul...this is made in China quality (or lack thereof), not USA.

If they remain silent and you get no reply from them, Woodmaxx is off my list for additipnal implements. Please keep us posted as to your outcome.

First, condolences on on the Tide's loss last night. It was a fun game to watch though. With hands on the equipment, it is easy to tell that WoodMaxx is good stuff, regardless of county of origin. Like you, I am curious on their follow through on this though, because customer service does still matter to me.

It looks like the Woodmaxx warranty for flail mowers covers (defective) parts only for 2 years. Don't know whether or not the OP was hot under the collar with his first emails to the manufacturer, but it could cause them to be cautious with their reply.

Again, I hope the OP gets resolution to his problem. I can understand the excitement with getting a new piece of equipment, and the disappointment when it fails. Tractor/implement owners usually have to do some maintenance and wrenching, This unit obviously failed. If the OP and Woodmaxx engage in useful conversation, there should be a remedy at the end.

There are plenty of other owners of Woodmaxx equipment on TBN that seem happy with their purchase and the value. I'm not ready to write them off just yet based on this thread.

The pushback I've gotten from posters in this thread has been a bit eye opening, and I am definitely a bit more conscious of my tone when posting here now. I don't feel as though I've been inflammatory towards WoodMaxx. Right now, I would not encourage anyone to write off WoodMaxx based on my experience alone. I intentionally posted in a separate thread praising my WoodMaxx Snowblower. Still, I have a bad feeling and a bit of anxiety on where this Flail Mower experience is heading.

I'm going to give a timeline here, and summarize my interactions a bit. 1. To show my tone and how I've interacted with WoodMaxx due to some of the pushback I've gotten here, and 2. To see if the masses here still recommend patience, or if my worry is warranted.

Around 12/20/21 I received my mower, assembled it that day and began using it the next. In about an hour, all 3 belts broke. Like most on here, I'm self sufficient, and sourced new belts and a local NAPA (they had to order) and installed them 2 days later. Probably 12/23. Same day after 3 hours of use, all 3 belts did the same thing.

I called WoodMaxx and reviewed my experience and possible issues with the technician. It was super cordial it just the two of us trouble shooting. We talked about things like belt tension, scalping with the mower, etc. Without a clear answer we decided that the belts may have been loose from the factory and maybe my reinstall was loose too. He said he'd put new belts in the mail right away, but also recommended I check pulley alignment.

Before I got the new pulleys in the mail, and with the mower still attached to the tractor, I began to clean the pulleys and tensioner to get ready for the new install. I wanted to make sure everything was perfect. Once clean, I put a level across the pulleys and noticed the miss alignment. I also noticed the groove in the tensioner arm from the pulley pulling too far in, and noticed the free movement in the shaft. I immediately called WoodMaxx to update them, and got a different tech (I think there are two). I filled him; again very cordial. He didn't have much troubleshooting input and basically just said he needed pictures, which I understood. I sent over half a dozen pictures, and a video file showing the movement in the pulley. I did mention in the e-mail that it appears the issue is back in the gear box, and if that's the case I'd expect a return or refund option as needing to disassemble major drive components after 4 hours of use doesn't seem reasonable to me. I didn't heard anything for a few days (yes, it was during a Holiday week), so I sent a short simple note asking for him to confirm receipt. He confirmed the next day and said "Please bare with me." I said no problem and told him that with the large video file I wanted to make sure my e-mail didn't get filtered out. This was still in December. I've heard nothing since. I figured I'd give them time to recover from the Holidays, but sent a follow up, "Hey, just checking and seeing where we are at," late last week, and now still nothing. I haven't even told them about the gear box being loose on the machine yet (discovered when. disconnected the PTO) simply because I don't want to continue to pile on without hearing back from them yet.

I did read somewhere on its site that WoodMaxx has a discretionary return policy and also a prorated refund clause in its warranty for things the owner can't repair. I want to discuss both of these with them. Maybe they need to take a gear box apart and see, maybe they need to talk to the factory, or an engineer is on vacation. I get it. I just don't like being left hanging. Even around the Holidays, WoodMaxx was available and responsive, but its feeling like they were willing to be helpful when the hope was that a $50 trio of belts could make the problem go away, but when things got tougher they started ghosting me. I hope I'm wrong.

/ WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues #40  
I've been having some trouble with my Kioti and Kioti Dealer, and been thinking back to when I bought my tractor. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have gone with a Kubota, not because of the quality of my Kioti, but because my local Kioti dealer has an awful service department compared to the local Kubota dealer.

You have been here 2 days and put up 2 posts and you're complaining about your machine..Hmmmmm.
Your last post was much better (y)