Woodmizer 40 1990 electro-hydraulic valves needed

/ Woodmizer 40 1990 electro-hydraulic valves needed #1  

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
A body in me or trying to revive an old wiser 40 produced 11/1989.

There's a bank of 4 valves at the front that control your hydraulics using an electric motor to generate hydraulic pressure. When you rotate the lever your rotating the centre shaft on the hydraulic valve and at the same time the end of the shaft is swinging the contact to engage the electric pump. So both things must happen at the same time, otherwise it's a closed centre valve and if you turn the pump on its deadheading. So the one valve has the shaft broke where would go out to the lover, right now I have the end cap off and on reaching down with pliers and rotating the shaft and spinning the contactor at the same time There's a bank of 4 valves at the front that control your hydraulics using an electric motor to generate hydraulic pressure. When you rotate the lever your rotating the centre shaft on the hydraulic valve and at the same time the end of the shaft is swinging the contact to engage the electric pump. So both things must happen at the same time, otherwise it's a closed centre valve and if you turn the pump on its deadheading.

So the one valve has the shaft broke where would go out to the lover, right now I have the end cap off and on reaching down with pliers and rotating the shaft and spinning the contactor at the same time. This is the Valve that Clamps the log into the backstop to hold it still water cutting.

We called wood mizer and they told usThat these valves are no longer available, and that we would have to buy a $1000 complete assembly to replace this one broken valve. I am not looking for an exact replacement valve, I'm looking for any electrohydraulic valve that I could retrofit to make this work.I don't mind if I have to mount theValve outside of the valve housing because it's a different size or something.

Would any of youKnow where I could find an electromechanical valve assembly that could replace this valve?View attachment 675578View attachment 675579View attachment 675580View attachment 675581View attachment 675582 20201106_085139.jpg20201106_085135.jpg20201106_085128.jpgJPEG_20201106_151620_5901283543913092530.jpg

/ Woodmizer 40 1990 electro-hydraulic valves needed
Sorry, closeup of the Valve internals showing the center shaft that controls hydraulic flow s well as the torsion spring that rotates a the shaft is turned to hit the contacts and sky the ground path for the 12V motor solenoid. 20201106_150906.jpg

/ Woodmizer 40 1990 electro-hydraulic valves needed #3  
Rock crawler
Do you have any idea on the function or porting on these valves. I think I see three hoses but are there four?

Does this valve move a cylinder and lock in place, run motor, etc.

Is it power both directions or gravity return?

99% certain you can get a valve to duplicate function once you determine what the actual function is.

Rock crawler
Do you have any idea on the function or porting on these valves. I think I see three hoses but are there four?

Does this valve move a cylinder and lock in place, run motor, etc.

Is it power both directions or gravity return?

99% certain you can get a valve to duplicate function once you determine what the actual function is.
The Valve powers the hydraulic cylinder in both directions, so it's able to clamp and hold that pressure, or lift a log part way and hold.

There are 4 ports, the bottom center dumps back into the reservoir beneath, the top center hard line is the pressure in from the reservoir, then the 2 hydraulic lines are in the clocked fittings for pressuring one way or the opposite.

So the electric side of this is "dumb" in that the spring connects to supply the ground to the solenoid that in turn clicks to start the motor on the hydraulic system below the valves. The electric switch is the same no matter what way you turn the shaft, it's just the ground to the motor solenoid. View attachment 675646View attachment 675647View attachment 67564820201106_150906.jpg20201106_085139.jpg

/ Woodmizer 40 1990 electro-hydraulic valves needed #5  
Rock,
What you are describing would be a 4-way 3-position valve with all of the ports blocked in spring loaded center condition. to operate energize coil and A pressure connects to A and B connects to tank. Energize coil B pressure connects to B and A connects to tank. I suspect a D03 size would work. A concern is the clamp and hold since all spool valves leak. What pressure and how long does it have to clamp the load and how securely? If must stay clamped for a period of time you might want to consider a PO check stack module under the D03. This would lock the cylinder in place for extended periods of time. This can be added with changing plumbing if the valve alone does not work.

/ Woodmizer 40 1990 electro-hydraulic valves needed #6  
Could you have a machine shop duplicate the shaft?

Could you have a machine shop duplicate the shaft?
I have no clue how to get the Valve/ shaft apart. I'm going to take it to a shop near Pittsburgh and see if they can offer anything...

/ Woodmizer 40 1990 electro-hydraulic valves needed #8  
Any luck with your valve?

/ Woodmizer 40 1990 electro-hydraulic valves needed #10  
Good to hear, nice to get something working again.
A lot of wood was cut out by those old mills.
We have a guy come by every couple of years at the farm and saw out planks for a day or two.
He can get quite a bit done in a day, we keep one tractor with forks on one side to stack cut wood on,
and one on the other side waiting with a log in the grapple to set on the table as soon as he's ready,
he will change the blade 3 - 4 times in a day.
He has quite a few all made up and when he gets low he will take a day and sharpen them.