woods 5 ft brush hog on jd 2720

/ woods 5 ft brush hog on jd 2720 #1  

trwtow

Tractor
jd 2720
just hooked up ready to cut how many rpms do i cut at im new at this thanks in advance terry

/ woods 5 ft brush hog on jd 2720 #2  
Do you have the tractor manual?? If so, read the section on PTO operation. If you don't have the manual, look at your tach/hr meter. It will have marks that show you where the engine speed should normally should be operated to achieve 540rpms at the PTO shaft. Usually it's a little bit below maximum engine rpm's. If you are cutting tall, heavy, or thick brush you will most likely need to run it at max PTO speed. If you are just mowing light pastures you can probably throttle it down some to save on fuel. Just try it at different speeds and see what works best because different speeds will give slightly different results. If you're running it at the ideal engine speed marked on the tach, the blade tips will be spinning at their fastest. This usually gives a finer cut. Slower speeds will cause more of a "shattering" effect on brush/grass/etc.

/ woods 5 ft brush hog on jd 2720
thanks my tach does have that. was just a little nervous thought iwould ask tractor only has 20 hrs on it didnt want to tear it up terry

/ woods 5 ft brush hog on jd 2720 #4  
One other important point, the manual for my JD 3320 says to engage the PTO at idle speed. Once things get turning, then apply the throttle.

IF you don't have the owner's manual, I'm certain you can download from the John Deere site.

Hope this helps,
-John